haibike tyre

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i am looking into larger volume tyres for a haibike sduro hardtail than the ones the bike is supplied with.
the reason is that i am used to riding a full suspension non electric mtb and the tyres on the haibike give a much harsher ride.
i know that a hard tail is never going to smooth out the bumps as well as a full sus but i would like to try and improve the bikes ability to soak up some of the bumps better.
if anyone has any suggestions that would be great .
thanks

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Gringo has linked to a suspension seat post, which is possibly the best way to gain comfort from a hardtail.

A few things.

If you haven't already done so, here is a set up guide for the front forks. http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/Consumer/Bike/Owners manuals/2014/general-fork-manual-english-web.pdf

if you don't already have one, then buy a shock pump in order to set the front suspension up and set the static sag. Start with approximately 20-25 per cent of the travel- so, if your fork has 100mm of travel, it should compress by 20-25mm. Be sure to set the sag wearing your full riding kit, including water that you may carry.
I'd also remove the suspension lockout, but that is just me.

In respect of tyre, the consensus of opinion suggests that fork and bike quality aside, tyres are a very crucial aspect of hardtail set up.
If I am correct then your bike is currently running 2.25", which mine is as well, but all that I have read, suggests that 2.3 is a minimum starting point width. I don't have any issue running 2.25" so clearly that isn't always the case.
Tyre pressures are very critical though and as starting point, aim for 28psi in the front and 30psi in the rear - adjusting upwards by a couple of psi if you are above 75kg in weight, or down if you are less than 75kg. Equally, bigger volume tyres can be run slightly softer than narrower ones. Either way, too hard and they will be harsh and offer little grip; too soft and you will be more prone to pinch flats and rolling the tyre off the rim.

Optimise your riding position. There must be loads of Youtube advice on this one, so I'll leave it there.

Hardtails are also best ridden using a clipless set up, so if you aren't already doing this, think about giving it a try.

In conflict with Gringos take on things, which as said, is going to be the best way to gain comfort; if you are riding off road a lot, then you might want to think about the following.

With no rear suspension, your legs have to absorb the bumps, and dropping the seat down to help them get their full range is going to help all round. A dropper seat post is another item that you might perhaps consider fitting. Having said World level XC mtb racers don't seem worry about dropper seat posts. :0

Riding terrain should also be taken into consideration. Hardtails are better suited for longer distances over slacker gradients and smoother trails. Not that I really give thought to this, as I tend to ride anywhere that I would on the Full suspension Lycan, and don't give it too much thought.

I have made two changes just today though, in respect of comfort.
I have fitted a Ragley Tracker saddle, and a pair of Ritchey WCS True Grip foam grips.

The Ragley was chosen after reading many reviews, and the True Grips were chosen on the basis that if they are good enough to be used by Jenny Rissveds, then who am I to argue. :)

Last edited:

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks gringo
this may be something i may consider in future if i,m riding for long periods in the saddle as opposed to standing on the peddles over rougher terrain.
thanks Eddie for the very detailed reply.
i have sorted my forks and taken into consideration the other points you have made.
The grips sound like a good idea.
yes you are right about the minimum size tyre width to start with on a hardtail and i am now at this stage.
i am familiar with different tyres for non electric mountain bikes but not the ones for the extra weight etc of emtb,s.
any recommendations ?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It is hard to say on tyre choice, as it is very much dependant upon what your riding terrain is.

I try to take in as little road as is possible, so my tyre choice is always off road biased.

WTB vigilante were fantastic off road and in muddy conditions, and seem to come highly recommended for hardtail use. I didn't have the hardtail at that stage and had them fitted the full suspension eMTB.
What has put me off using them again, is that they have to be the worst tyre that I have ever come across when trying to fit them. The final straw was at 11.00pm one cold night, when it took three of us to remove and refit the rear after a flat.
They also drag really badly, which isn't notable off road, but on road, you struggle to peddle above assisted speed, and I often found myself riding slower just so that I didn't have to.

I now run Hutchinson DZO's on the full suspension eMTB and Hutchinson Toro HardSkin's on the hardtail. Both in 2.25 size. My chainstay width is too tight to run anything wider.

Both types of tyre are amazing, or at least I think that they are, and both offer limpet like off road capability, but the DZO's are easily better in very muddy conditions, but the Toro's are better when you do have to venture onto the road.
I'd say that the DZO's are possibly a bit more predictable over root ridden sections, or for when cross rutting.

The DZO's are completely shot now and need changing, so as the hardtail is being used increasingly more as mud bike, I'm going fit a set of DZO's to the hardtail, and just put the Toro's onto the full suspension. I should add, that Hutchison tyres can sometimes be hard to get hold of, or at least at a sensible price, so I just keep my eye on Ebay etc and look for bargains.

Just spotted this guide to winter tyres.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/the-best-mountain-bike-winter-tyres-332535

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Funny how you can change you mind; I've opted for something completely different on the hard tail. :)

A set of Bontrager SE4 Team Issue TLR.

• 27.5" x 2.20 on the rear
  • 27.5" x 2.35 on the front

I didn't see that one coming!

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks for this info Eddie.
the link is very informative on the types of tyres.
i think i may have to get a variety of tyres due to the variety of terrain that i ride.
interesting choice of tyres for yourself but i can understand the width option front and rear.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Nice to see the Ardent and High Roller 2 are ranked at 10/10 in that MBR review Eddie (they come in top each year), I've been using them in different combinations for years:cool:...I can throw another in the mix which isn't mentioned there and grip better than the HR2, the Maxxis Minion DHF (pref the ST version). The last couple of winters I've been running HR2 front/Ardent rear, but after some research I've changed to Minion DHF ST front/HR2 rear and the grip/handling is beyond belief at times:)

Reactions: EddiePJ

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I was given a pair of DHFs over the summer, the grip is unbelievable off road but they are hard work up the hills (I am constantly looking for more range so low rolling resistance is good. I have in the past used High roller and Ardent as winter tyres on an unpowered bike and may try this combo in the summer on that Haibike, alternative may be Racing Ralph / Nobby Nic.

Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Racing Ralphs is a tricky one. They come on many bikes as an OE tyre, which I guess is down to the weight saving factor, and they are a very good tyre that also offers a very low rolling resistance, but the down side of them being that they do puncture very easily. I run a Racing Ralph on the front of my KTM 1964 conventional MTB, along with a Rocket Ron on the rear, and the combination is surprisingly good, but unless I was riding prominently on the road, I don't think that I would fancy them as a main tyre on an eMTB. I'm probably wrong, but I have also felt them better placed on light weight bikes.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i have opted for a pair of nobby nics in 2.35 width.
so far so good .
they give good grip on the terrain i,m riding at the moment and can be run at lower pressures.
however if run at the lower end of the pressure range there is a noticeable increase in drag.
obvious really but a lot more than i would have thought.
a lot better at soaking up harsher terrain
so at the moment i am happy with how versatile these are.
just a point though , these tyres come in many different specs , like snakeskin sidewall ,different compounds etc so this is reflected in the price

Related Articles

Advertisers