Haibike /Yamaha issues

HowardB

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2016
South Africa
Hi I have a 2016 Haibike sduro. I have done 500 km offroad only and have had 2 issues. A faulty switch / LCD docking station and a speed sensor failure. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Could you pass on the error codes shown and how the repairs were handled. Also, and no offense, are you running a dongle?

HowardB

May 3, 2016
South Africa
No dongle stock standard as built. The first error code was 15 and was sorted with the replacement of the handlebar switch and LCD docking station which are all one unit. 50 km later the speed sensor failed. No error code. No assistance and speed shown as zero. Did all the diagnostics in the workshop manual. Not sure if it is the magnet or the pickup?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
No dongle stock standard as built. The first error code was 15 and was sorted with the replacement of the handlebar switch and LCD docking station which are all one unit. 50 km later the speed sensor failed. No error code. No assistance and speed shown as zero. Did all the diagnostics in the workshop manual. Not sure if it is the magnet or the pickup?
Is the center of the magnet lined up with the notch in the pick up head?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Did the shop replace the docking station and did the sensor fail before or after the repair?

HowardB

May 3, 2016
South Africa
yes did the test, so wheel rotations match the number on the LCD. The speed indicated on the LCD is zero . It is either the magnet which i cleaned and reinstalled or the pickup. Failing that the circuit board in the motor? Support is sparse here in Africa. We have 2 identical bikes and the other one is problem free

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
After the first repair
If you did the replacement yourself or if the shop did it, the motor may have to be lowered again and the cable checked for either pinching or disconnection. That is where I would go first. If everything is lined up correctly and cleaned, that is next to check. I have not heard of any issuse the speed sensors in these bikes at the system itself. Once the motor has been lowered, fitting a replacement sensor is plug and play.

HowardB

May 3, 2016
South Africa
We do all the work ourselves with replacement parts the factory supply. The plug and play aspect is what makes it all so easy. The rear sensor loom showed signs of a pinch at factory assembly. We waiting on spares in the next few days. I will post an update

Reactions: Emo Rider
Mar 9, 2016
Just past 300 miles on mine. No issues.
Couple of minor niggles. Charging plug on small side. Head unit knocked of twice whilst riding..Rattling battery , which seems a common problem on sduro but does not affect them all.( but cured now)
Otherwise perfect. Went through a puddle way deeper than I thought it would be. Expected fault codes , dampness issues. ( it was well upto motor) Coped fine.
Not sure head unit is as robust as it could be. The Bosch appears stronger but its working fine.( actually prefer yam readout)
I find torque sensor on crank easier to regulate power at back wheel than Bosch, it seems more accurate in matching your force to current on screen/ in motor.but that might be just fact I,ve used this more.( 50 or so miles on Bosch)
No dongle..no point in Peaks on trails..
Still love the bike.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Couple of minor niggles. Charging plug on small side. Head unit knocked of twice whilst riding..Rattling battery , which seems a common problem on sduro but does not affect them all.( but cured now)
Otherwise perfect. Went through a puddle way deeper than I thought it would be. Expected fault codes , dampness issues. ( it was well upto motor) Coped fine.
Not sure head unit is as robust as it could be. The Bosch appears stronger but its working fine.( actually prefer yam readout)
I find torque sensor on crank easier to regulate power at back wheel than Bosch, it seems more accurate in matching your force to current on screen/ in motor.but that might be just fact I,ve used this more.( 50 or so miles on Bosch)
Still love the bike.
I have been commuting on my Sduro Trekking for a month now. Brillant bike with no issues in just over 300 miles so far. Was out with a friend that has a Full Seven with over 4,000 miles on it and again, no issues.

HowardB

May 3, 2016
South Africa
Still love the bike.
I was just curious as our second bike is bullet proof. We taking on the distributorship for our area . Reassuring to hear my problems appear isolated.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Well I have now clocked just shy of 6000 miles since 2012 on my Haibike - and I had one issue with a popping noise that Martin sorted - and other than that.... nothing. And I do have a dongle. And a larger cog at the pedals. And don't really look after it that well. And the battery still gives me about the range it ever did. Quality German engineering. Mind you for the £5000 I paid for it one would jolly well hope so.

The weather's nice out there huh? Yup. Sure is nice out there.

Reactions: HowardB

HowardB

May 3, 2016
South Africa
Well I have now clocked just shy of 6000 miles since 2012 on my Haibike - and I had one issue with a popping noise that Martin sorted - and other than that.... nothing. And I do have a dongle. And a larger cog at the pedals. And don't really look after it that well. And the battery still gives me about the range it ever did. Quality German engineering. Mind you for the £5000 I paid for it one would jolly well hope so.

The weather's nice out there huh? Yup. Sure is nice out there.
Thanks certainly is reassuring! This place is paradise.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Did over 2000 miles on my 2015 Sduro hardseven sl last year and didn't have a problem with Motor or electrics. Tough old beast and still going strong. Used all through winter come rain sleet and snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldPhot

Aug 14, 2015
Last weekend my three week old 2016 SDuro stopped functioning after I tried to pull away whilst changing gears, I hadn't managed to change to a lower gear to pull away, the chain slipped around the rear cog and the bike went into error mode. I had to ride the last 5 miles homes with no assistance. I found the service manual online & found it to be error 28 (Torque Sensor). The Bike shop now have it back & the engineer has been told to remove the sensor, send it back to the distributor and only then will they send out a replacement. The BS mentioned something about needing a 'special' tool to get the cases apart.. Not entirely happy with this situation and feel I may be being sold a line whilst they learn how to fix my bike which is under 100miles old. The only other issue I have encountered was that when offroading the display flashed on & off and then came back.. so I expect theres a loose connection somewhere inside. I hope that its an easy fix and that I can return to ride my bike & build confidence in it once more. This shouldn't happen to a £3K bike, that hasn't been abused just ridden and not jumped etc. We have another one which hasn't had an issues at all.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need a 3mm and a 6mm hex key to remove the motor im sure they have those.

be careful mind as you can strip the thread if you over tighten the 3 motor bolts.

Reactions: OldPhot
Mar 9, 2016
Oldphot
My head unit got knocked up whilst riding, lost all assistance. Pushed unit back down, but now switched off.. Turned back on , all fine..
I wouldn't fiddle just yet with moving motor to check cables. Give dealer a week or so. Doesn't really help but mine has taken lots of abuse ( worn out tyre in first month) and just comes back for more.
I know training days for Yam and Bosch are fully booked for months , your dealer is perhaps not fully upto speed just yet. Be patient. Even Rolls Royce get faults now and again. Bike is worth waiting a week or two for, chances are other dealers could be in same boat.
Could they lend you a bike ???
Where are you based ?
I certainly wouldn't be fiddling with a 3 week old bike. Its what warranty is for.

Last edited: