Halfords - coyote connect folding bike

Curley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 18, 2016
Northern Ireland
Hi everyone ,

Was in Halfords today getting some item for my return to cycling and spotted the Coyote Connect folding bike for sale. Would anyone recommend buying one for commuting 8 miles per day? I have a number of small hills to climb , mostly on the return journey.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depends on the bikes spec but generally most will get you the 8 miles, just depends whether it will be comfortable day in day out to ride.

Jips1971

Jan 7, 2016
Neath
Depends on the bikes spec but generally most will get you the 8 miles, just depends whether it will be comfortable day in day out to ride.
I had one of these bikes and easily got 14 - 20 miles out of it including some hills
Folds down nicely, and worked very well

Only traded up because I prefer cycle trails and with no suspension it got a little hard. That said, the large seat was more than comfortable for road commuting

• Informative

MaxDaddy

Sep 28, 2016
I've got one and I am getting about 14-16 miles on a full battery on high power basically ghosting the pedals. If I made an effort to petal I might get 20 miles.

• Agree

MaxDaddy

Sep 28, 2016
we'll I've done over 20 miles today without charging and still have some juice left. Im hooked on electric bikes! My next one will definitely be a higher voltage, but other than that I recommend it! I couldn't go back to a normal bikes after this.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Bikes are speed limited by law, greater range is generally provided by more amps not higher voltage. So why do you want a higher voltage system?

MaxDaddy

Sep 28, 2016
Bikes are speed limited by law, greater range is generally provided by more amps not higher voltage. So why do you want a higher voltage system?
Voltage affects torque and acceleration. Biking will be easier especially up hills.

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
Range depends on the capacity of the battery in Watt Hours - and on the efficiency of the motor and its drive.

Why do you say that "greater range is generally provided by more amps not higher voltage" is this based on experience of several electric bicycles or some technical information I am unaware of?

Last edited:

MaxDaddy

Sep 28, 2016
Range depends on the capacity of the battery in Watt Hours - and on the efficiency of the motor and its drive.

Why do you say that "greater range is generally provided by more amps not higher voltage" is this based on experience of several electric bicycles or some technical information I am unaware of?
I think he meant Amp Hours.

Sent from mTalk

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Yes total energy is volts times amps.
And a 48 volt 8 amp battery is near enough equal to a 36 volt 12ah battery. Circa 500 watt hours.
Normally motors are 36 or 48 volts. The factor we change to increase range is to up the total charge in the battery, ie moving from a 36 volt 12 ah to a 36 volt 16ah battery. Changing to a higher voltage can cause component failure, capacitors rated at 50 volts are likely to fail if you fit a 48 volt lipo as fully charged it should be at around 56volts. Of course newer controllers use 60 volt capacitors etc. And some people do run 96volt systems but that gets really expensive for new motors and dangerous too.
There are a few finer points such as running higher voltage increases the motor speed such as the most efficient rate can be above legal limit speed. Therefore the system becomes inefficient Wasting energy heating copper.
Ditto losses in the battery increase as you draw higher momentary current.
But no stunning new laws of physics to surprise you with.

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
Yes total energy is volts times amps.
And a 48 volt 8 amp battery is near enough equal to a 36 volt 12ah battery. Circa 500 watt hours.
Normally motors are 36 or 48 volts. The factor we change to increase range is to up the total charge in the battery, ie moving from a 36 volt 12 ah to a 36 volt 16ah battery. Changing to a higher voltage can cause component failure, capacitors rated at 50 volts are likely to fail if you fit a 48 volt lipo as fully charged it should be at around 56volts. Of course newer controllers use 60 volt capacitors etc. And some people do run 96volt systems but that gets really expensive for new motors and dangerous too.
There are a few finer points such as running higher voltage increases the motor speed such as the most efficient rate can be above legal limit speed. Therefore the system becomes inefficient Wasting energy heating copper.
Ditto losses in the battery increase as you draw higher momentary current.
But no stunning new laws of physics to surprise you with.
May I take issue with your first sentence? Energy is not volts x amps - volts x amps is power. Energy is voltage x current x time.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
May I take issue with your first sentence? Energy is not volts x amps - volts x amps is power. Energy is voltage x current x time.
You can get picky if you want, I might go in a huff though.
Ps I did say total energy, as in potential and given I was quoting amp hour i wus implying time as factor , so will you forgive me?

MaxDaddy

Sep 28, 2016
Yes, power is drawn by the motor not given by the battery so having a lower voltage battery with a higher capacity isn't equal to a high voltage battery with a lower capacity.

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
Yes, power is drawn by the motor not given by the battery so having a lower voltage battery with a higher capacity isn't equal to a high voltage battery with a lower capacity.
Sorry MaxDaddy but that doesn't make sense to me, could you explain why this is please?

Last edited:

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
D8ve said: "You can get picky if you want, I might go in a huff though.
Ps I did say total energy, as in potential and given I was quoting amp hour i wus implying time as factor , so will you forgive me?"

People who are unfamiliar with electric terms are easily confused so I feel it's important to be very particular about the use of terms. Is it possible to email through this group rather than having a rambling discussion which will only only confuse people more?

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
all sweet now,issues sorted smiley face time.

Last edited:

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
I flagged "Disagree" because I disagreed with most of your post. If this is not the done thing, perhaps the Forum rules should mention it. I have now removed the flag and will PM you to explain why I disagree.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

We say that the motor draws power, but actually it doesn't. The power is pushed into it by the electromotive force from the battery. The controller acts like a throttle, only letting some of the power get through or completely blocking it when circumstances dictate.

• Agree
Reactions: ChrisOfBristol

MaxDaddy

Sep 28, 2016
We say that the motor draws power, but actually it doesn't. The power is pushed into it by the electromotive force from the battery. The controller acts like a throttle, only letting some of the power get through or completely blocking it when circumstances dictate.
I was trying to explain it simply. Given up though! :)