Halfords E-Bikes

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Hi again. Now I am retired and have a little more time to play around, I was thinking of getting a larger ebike to supplement my E-Brompton.

I notice Halfoirds have their Carrera Crossfire-E on special offer and with membership of British Cycling club there is another 10% off.

I almost prefer the look of the Carrera Vulcan as this gives you more rougher terrain options and I could change the tyres to Bigg Apple for better road performance.

I guess I could build my own given I now have all the ebike building skils, but at these prices it seems a little pointless except I guess for the fun of the building :)

I should maybe go ride them both first. I hear there have been some cutout problems.

Any other views ?

Regards

Jerry

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
At £960 less 10% British Cycling, the Crossfire-e is a strong proposition.

I had one but returned it due to the cutout problems.

My partner still has hers - it had the display replaced due to a fault - it seems fine now. It cuts out very occasionally but not enough to put her off. I enjoyed riding mine when it worked!

D

Deleted member 4366

I reckon that they're pretty good value, but they have a couple of drawbacks that might affect you. Firstly, the proprietary electrics are not easy to get hold of, so all repairs would have to be done via Halfords. Secondly, nobody has found a way to adjust the annoying 15 mph speed limit. That only affects some people.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks guys. Yes Dave having and building my own conversions makes it so easy to repair and maintain them. A big factor for sure. Speed wise 15mph is fine for me.

The Vulcan does look nice in the shop. As I said I should take both out for a test ride.

I think I would like a go at a first rear wheel conversion as I can now build larger wheels back and front. Any advice for the type of motor/controller/battery combination?

I have a Voodoo Marasa which would make a good donor bike I think. Has disc brakes so again a new venture for me as I have only fitted front motors with V-Brakes. Any other recommendations for donor bikes given I would have about 1K to spend incl motor parts/battery ?

PS I note it comes with 2 year guarantee including battery. Would it be easy later if there were problems to rip out the electrics and fit your own using the existing hub ?

Jerry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I can't think of a reason why not to move the parts to another bike, but if you're thinking of doing that, it would make more sense to get a kit in the first place.

There's so many options with kits these days that it's difficult to advise. You have to say what characteristics you're looking for and what you want to use it for, then we have something to go on.

Reactions: jerrysimon

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks Dave.

I meant if it fails after a couple of years i.e. use the same bike and motor but replace the electrics/controls.

I will try the bikes first and then get back to you :)

Jerry

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Hi jerry,you inspired me to make my own a123 battery pack several or more years ago,i am a little surprised that with your experience,you are not building something yourself,or at least adding a kit to something,i am sure you could put something far better,lighter and more reliable and much cheaper together.or at least better performing ,bigger battery and better components.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Happy Crossfire-e owner here, 2800 miles in and just under 1 year old, daily commute. Just got the ladies version for her indoors.
Have also ridden the Vulcan-e, nice bike too, if it's more off road riding required then I'd go for that
Don't get put off by the occasional cut out, no big deal, reset and away you go again

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Hi jerry,you inspired me to make my own a123 battery pack several or more years ago,i am a little surprised that with your experience,you are not building something yourself,or at least adding a kit to something,i am sure you could put something far better,lighter and more reliable and much cheaper together.or at least better performing ,bigger battery and better components.
Hey Paul,

Yes I could build something but I am not sure it would cost a lot less. I guess I was just taken by the E-Vulcan. Its a pretty nice/well specked base bike and looks like it would be fun to use off road.

Strange a few years ago I was completly obsessed with small wheeled bikes, but have recently be dabbling with larger wheeeled ones mainly second hand frames rebuilding them completly including building front and back wheels. Haven't done a conversion for a while mainly still relying on my E-Brompton when I require assistance. I have updated it a couple of times with better cutouts and a new front hub wheel after the original got noisy after over 10K miles.

I am not sure its worth building batteries any more given you can buy them lighter and certainly cheaper and less hassle than building your own. That said I still have several sets that are still going after 3+ years. I stopped using A123 packs and still have several 2 * 6S1P sat on my shelf. I found the Sony Konians better/larger capacity and pretty much self balancing, better even than the A123s. I have only balanced them a few times in three years.

I have read that these bikes use a proprietary rear wheel cassette locking ring which no one seems to be able to find a removal tool for ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hi Jerry,
The csssette and locking ring is standard shimano, I've removed it easily with the standard cassette removal tool. From memory I think it's a hg50 cassette or similar
Good luck with whatever option you go with
Cheers
Paul

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks Paul that's good to know!

Going to try both bikes tomorrow. Now that I am retired I have plenty of time on my hands :)

Jerry

philliptjohnson

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2017
Washington
Only thing I would say is that Halfords had put a cable tie on both sides of the connector to the back wheel and I've cut off the one in the wheel side of the connector as it would have stopped me removing the wheel to change the inner tube of I got a puncture out and about with the tools I take with me.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks. Just popped into halfords to check for tomorrow. Both bikes will be ready to try tomorrow morning.

I mentioned about the reported cutouts and the staff said this was known and related to last years models and the removable displays. Said water got into the contacts and corrosion caused them to cutout.

He says its now fixed. With a two year guarantee on battery and electrics I have greater piece of mind if there are any problems.

I need to price up how much it would cost me to DIY convert my existing Voodoo. However I like this bike as it is and the Vulcan would be more for longer rides and maybe some cycle track work. Would probably put on some Big Apple/Bens as I use 2" ones on my Voodoo at 35psi and it really makes for a comfortable ride.

Is that Chinese web site still up where you can buy all the motors etc. Would be looking at a rear 250W motor with disc brake fittings ?

Ps This looks nic, though maybe its a freewheel rather than cassette ?

http://www.greenbikekit.com/electric-motor/rear-bldc/8fun-36v-250w-swxh-hub-engine.html

oh dear I am getting sucked in again.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks Dave its been a while and I forgot their name lol

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Is Suntour a brand or are their motors rebranded Bafang/Fun8's ?

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Oh the wisdom of trying before you buy!

Tried both bikes the first one being the Crossfire - E

1. It seems well made.
2. Really liked the controlls and LCD
3. Nice fit and quite comfy
4. Different power assist settings

Dislikes

1. Man these batteries are large and really make it stick out plus make it so heavy!
2. No throttle which was ok but strange when assistance suddenly stops at 15.5mph

Overall for the money its great value. I really liked riding it especially the controls and different power settings.

I then tried the Vulcan - E which I love the look of but riding it was terrible. I am really not suited to mountain bikes. The handle bars are very wide and it feels like you are riding a tank not helped with the electric components and battery weight I guess. Good assistance. I tried it on a rough trail but found it very uncomfortable and not sure that typoe of riding is for me anyway.

I was surprised as in the shop I liked the look of the Vulcan the best. Riding the Crossfire round Cambridge I again realised that I dont need more than eco/touring mode and a smaller motor/battery configuration would be better, so after contatcing Dave/Awol, I am going to look at getting one of the new small rear motors they are him trying and maybe try fitting it to my updated Voodoo Marasa. Not tried a rear motor fit before.

IMG_0393.jpg

Trying the Halford bikes also confirmed I dont really need suspension forks, the Big Apples giving me all the suspension I need :)

Jerry

Reactions: JimRides

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Nice report Jerry, sounds like you did the right thing doing the test rides, a lesson to all undecided on off the shelf or conversion.
Good luck with the conversion, I see you are running a B17, currently trying to break one in myself, or is it breaking me in lol

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I see you are running a B17, currently trying to break one in myself, or is it breaking me in lol
Thanks. That one is well and truly broken in. I actuall have three includoing a nice Ti one.

Jerry