Halfords - What to Make of This?

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
Just had a very surprising live chat with a Halfords customer service agent: apparently all (yes, when asked he/she confirmed "all") their ebikes have a maximum rider/load of 160 kg. They've all "been tested to that specification". And the "warranties all apply" for this max load.

It doesn't quite seem to add up given the first bike I looked at had thereafter a spec with a "Maximum Rider Weight" of 120 kg.

Does this mean they expect/provide for riders to carrying loads up to 40 kg (in the case of the bike I looked at)? Or simply that a safety margin of 40 kg is applied? Or that the agent is simply wrong?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've never heard of anybody breaking an electric bike because they were too heavy. We've had some heavy riders have spokes come loose and break. The worst problem is the extra power needed. The average motors don't have enough power to keep speed high enough on hills, which is very bad for the electrics. It's the electrical system that you should worry about not the frame's strength.

Last edited:

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Depends what extras you allow for in practice. Most cheaper pannier racks I've seen usually have had a load weight limit of about 25kg. Some probably a more more. Maybe add that and an allowance for more and you get nearer the 160?
Or maybe as you say , they were just wrong.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
For (several) Orbea bikes, from the user manual, it's:
- 115Kg rider (18st 1lb)
- 15Kg rear pannier

So the 'real' / recommended max seems to be 130Kg.

I have also seen 120Kg rider max for a Boardman ADV 8.9e, but I couldn't find that info again.

Both are sold by Halfords, note.
But obviously it depends on frame & wheel design, so other bikes will have different limits.