Handle bar raise

Gbay

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2016
Hi can anyone advise me can I raise the height of the handlebars on my Haibike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
do you have any spacers above the stem? if so you can just put them at the bottom and raise the bar level.

if not you will need a new stem or if it is still not high enough.

Gbay

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2016
Thanks for your help , there are no spacers above the stem ,can I buy and add a couple of more spacers or would I have to get a stem bar riser
Regards Graham

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
in that case you will need a new stem as once the fork tube has been cut thats it height wise.

you can get these but id never use one.

Reactions: E-Wheels

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Thanks for your help , there are no spacers above the stem ,can I buy and add a couple of more spacers or would I have to get a stem bar riser
Regards Graham
You normally can't safely add more spacers.
The easiest way is often to swap the stem for something like a 45degree one.
(note that many existing stems are fitted pointing down (albeit with a very small angle) and these can be flipped over to at least give a little bit of height adjustment to the handlebars)
Also note that many bikes will have things like the hydraulic brake cables cut fairly tight with not that much slack, so if you raise the bars too much, you'll run into a problem. Using one of the vertical extenders shown in another post here is often a little bit too much of a rise. I'd try the new 45 deg stem first, as often just raising by say an inch or two is enough to make a noticeable difference in comfort/neck pain etc.

Gbay

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2016
in that case you will need a new stem as once the fork tube has been cut thats it height wise.

you can get these but id never use one.
Hi
Why wouldn’t you use one do you think it is unsafe, i am new to biking have little experience
Regards Graham

Gbay

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2016
You normally can't safely add more spacers.
The easiest way is often to swap the stem for something like a 45degree one.
(note that many existing stems are fitted pointing down (albeit with a very small angle) and these can be flipped over to at least give a little bit of height adjustment to the handlebars)
Also note that many bikes will have things like the hydraulic brake cables cut fairly tight with not that much slack, so if you raise the bars too much, you'll run into a problem. Using one of the vertical extenders shown in another post here is often a little bit too much of a rise. I'd try the new 45 deg stem first, as often just raising by say an inch or two is enough to make a noticeable difference in comfort/neck pain etc.
Thank you

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it depends what sort of riding you do so not a good idea if blasting down a dh mtb track.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
You have various options;

Moving spacers from the top of the stem to the bottom of the stem (some people suggest keeping between 3-5mm of spacers at the top of the stem - I think this would only apply for bikes with carbon steerers. Yours is probably steel or alloy, so you shouldn’t have an issue)

Flipping the stem - some stems point slightly downwards on the bike (called negative rise), and if you turn the stem upside down, it will have a positive rise.

Increasing the rise on the handlebars. Riser bars are available.

Cheapest option is moving spacers, if you have that option available.
Second cheapest is buying a new stem with a greater angle of rise, or buying an adjustable stem, which gives a range of angles that can be set by the user.

Fork tube extensions are another option, but can compromise stability, if taken to extremes.

Gbay

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2016
You have various options;

Moving spacers from the top of the stem to the bottom of the stem (some people suggest keeping between 3-5mm of spacers at the top of the stem - I think this would only apply for bikes with carbon steerers. Yours is probably steel or alloy, so you shouldn’t have an issue)

Flipping the stem - some stems point slightly downwards on the bike (called negative rise), and if you turn the stem upside down, it will have a positive rise.

Increasing the rise on the handlebars. Riser bars are available.

Cheapest option is moving spacers, if you have that option available.
Second cheapest is buying a new stem with a greater angle of rise, or buying an adjustable stem, which gives a range of angles that can be set by the user.

Fork tube extensions are another option, but can compromise stability, if taken to extremes.
Thank you

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
do you think it is unsafe
I've used a Satori brand for a while on one of my bikes, solid, well made and perfectly safe if fitted properly.
As Kwozzymodo said, make sure the cables are long enough.
Something like this would look better:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B9TQHMV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
perhaps coupled with riser handlebars making sure the sizes are compatible.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UPANBIKE-Mountain-Handlebar-25-4mm-31-8mm/dp/B01EMM7I7O/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=riser+handlebars&qid=1586354853&s=sports&sr=1-13

Dave.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I have used the type of stem extender that SW linked to for a few years now. I live in West Wales so the steepness of hills demands a lot of pulling on the bars, no damage so far. Road riding only though.
In the last year I've combined the riser with OnOne Mary bars, giving a bit more rise and a degree of sweep back.
Riding position is now fairly upright but with enough lean forward for shoulders to be over the crank fulcrum.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Back in the '70s it was common to add cow-horn handlebars to a bike. Don't see them these days!

John07

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 16, 2021
The spacers are what dictate the height. You can lower the height by removing spacers or adding more spacers (or an extender) to raise the bike handlebar. The best limit height is 30mm worth of spacers.

John07

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 16, 2021
Make the adjustment you want , and let’s move on to putting the stem and handlebar back onto the tube. Replace the cap, and make sure that everything aligns with the front wheel. Because locking the bolt in while there is misalignment will cause the bike to veer in one direction and cause problems for you.