Handle bars on Krieger

EmWilts

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2017
Wiltshire
Hi,

after joining the forum and saying hi recently, I have jumped in and bought a new Krieger :)
Only problem is, I can't seem to tighten the handlebars - the Allen key attaches a quill stem. Both me and other half have tried turning Allen key at varying tightness but it is still a bit loose, and once it is a bit loose it immediately goes very loose. We are at the unboxing stage and hoping to use tomorrow. Help appreciated!!!!

Thanks, Em

EmWilts

Sep 3, 2017
Wiltshire
Undo the lever to access the allen key, its 6mm, the bars will go loose while you tighten them up, close the lever after and they will go tight again.
Hi - tried this but will not tighten. There are two angled parts that fit together when the Allen key is turned and the lever itself doesn't change how tight that is (I think). It is as tight as a hand will allow though. The lever will only change the rotation of the bars eg to adjust brake lever height.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Em,

You need a long 6mm allen key, something like this:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/hexagon-keys/t-handled-hexagon-key-driver-6mm-x-190mm/p/KEN6016120K

If you don't, you will need a wrench or a pair of pliers to tighten the wedge nut properly.
Your Kriieger has a Promax adjustable stem. It is attached to the fork's steerer tube with a wedge nut.
The range of adjustment in height is about 4 inches.

To adjust the height, first loosen the wedge nut.
To loosen the wedge nut:

1) Slide down the safety latch (arrow), lift up the locking arm (yellow sticker), lower the handlebars to expose the stem bolt.
2) Use a long handle 6mm allen key, loosen the bolt, 3 turns anti-clockwise.
3) Push the stem into the steerer tube to where you want, tighten the wedge nut really well.

The wedge nut is similar to this:

when finished you may need to tighten a bit the M5 nut under the stem.

EmWilts

Sep 3, 2017
Wiltshire
The one that comes with the bike you can't get enough toque on it, you could put a ring spanner though it and use it as a wrench to get more leverage. Its best to use the proper tools though.
Thanks so much for the advice, I would say that with the tools it came with even Arnie would struggle to tighten that! Using an adjustable spanner gave it a little bit extra and now it's tight, phew! Will give it an outing tomorrow

Advertisers