handlebar cams

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are loads to choose from. The things you should look out for are.
1. How long the battery lasts or whether you can record while charging.
2. Resolution should be at least 2K
3. Image stabilisation.
4. How to fit it to your bike.
5. Waterproof.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good one. I've tried a few and they all worked pretty well.

Sep 13, 2020
There are loads to choose from. The things you should look out for are.
1. How long the battery lasts or whether you can record while charging.
2. Resolution should be at least 2K
3. Image stabilisation.
4. How to fit it to your bike.
5. Waterproof.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good one. I've tried a few and they all worked pretty well.
OK, thanks very much for that. Good points to bear in mind when looking.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for but I recently bought an Akaso V50X and it seems a decent camera. Plenty of features, Time Lapse, Slow Motion, Decent image stabilisation, 20mp Still camera and more mounting brackets than I know what to do with. Plus if you buy from Amazon and leave a review you get a warranty extension to 2 years and they send you a whole heap of further adapters including chest mount, helmet mounts etc. It also has a dashcam mode where it automatically switches on if plugged in via the cigarette lighter when you start the car (And switches off when you stop).

The biggest disappointment is the internal mic which is frankly rubbish. I have the external mic which is better but still pretty poor.

I've attached the user manual if you fancy some bedtime reading.

TTFN
John.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I use a Chilli bullet cam Chilli Bullet cam with a 32Gb sd card.
Good camera with HD recording and both handlebar and helmet mounts.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I have the same Akaso V50X cam as @snafu, bought especially/permanently fixed to my e-bike. I've been using it for just over a year now to record new rides/routes/things of interest on the ride. For the money it's pretty good compared to another Akaso cam I own (about £75 with a 32gb card) and the (necessary) image stabilisation works better than some. It's bundled with a fistful of go-pro compatible mounts including a handlebar mount. If you power the cam from a 5v USB socket on your display as I do, it fits into the same micro USB on the cam as the external mic, so you can't use both. If powered that way, the cam switches on/off with your bike.