Handlebar change

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
For some months now I've been suffering with my neck, both spine and muscular. So I,ve been getting massage, which has been helping. But a ride on boxing day confirmed what I suspected, my straight, standard bars were not helping, despite having bar ends to change position.
So, having read a lot, I've bit the bullet and bought some On One Mary bars as lots reckon they've helped with wrist and neck problems.
So here's a pic of my rather crowded cockpit.
DSCF3172.JPG
Comparison of old and new bars:
DSCF3173.JPG
Here we go then! Srip down and fit new bars:DSCF3172.JPGDSCF3173.JPGDSCF3176.JPG
It was shortly after this that the groans started. The blasted gear cables aren't long enough. BUM
So I'm looking for Sram X-4 gear cables, found some but none seem to state the length. Mine are the type that has a short piece of outer to the bottom tube, then bare cable under the bottom bracket with a last short piece of outer to the changer. Do I have to buy complete outers and cut them? Anyone got any clues/pointers?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Oh double bum! The rear brake cable is too short as well. Of course it is, I mean these bars are a whole 30mm wider - who'd a thunk?
Times like this I almost wish I still lived where the lbs was just round the corner, but then I look out of my kitchen window!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks guys. Might need something like that once I can ride it again. Main thing was to try and get my wrists at a better angle, so moving my elbows in a bit hoping to remove the strain from my neck.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
man those handle bars are tiny length wise so should handle way better with the new ones.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Went to local (30 mile round trip) Halfrauds yesterday. Mechanic cut me some brake cable from his stock but couldn't help with gear cable. Their range of stock was woeful to non exixtent. Anyway, brake fitted and waiting gear cable from Evans. Strange they have stock Halfords don't !
Had a mooch around the bikes they had whilst there. Displaying around eight models including the dreaded Crossfire, they're still selling that crap - unbelievableo_O

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
Halfords didn't have brake pads for the Carrera bikes they sell (Tektro Aries) but it's the closest bike shop near me. Poundland and Wilko are more reliable for quite a bit of bike stuff.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Phew! That took some time but it's done. Everything was on and off the bars more often than the UKIP leadership!
(Camera's playing up at the mo, pics will follow).
Bars are overall around 25-30mm wider, grip position relative to saddle, is in about the same place. Hands are angled in nicely relieving wrist tension. I am finding that I am now riding with elbow slightly flexed, so acting as a shock absorber. Also there is less tendency for me to bunch my neck and shoulder muscles. Control feel more precise and responsive. There's still some tweeks to do on brake and gear changer angles, but it's nearly there. The Carradice box still fitted, which surprised me, thought I was going to have to do without it.
Still feeling some impact shocks in my neck, may have to go to an NCX seatpost - we'll see how it goes.
Overall I'm pleased and I think the Mary bars ( despite the daft name) are going to help with neck and shoulder muscles, have to get spine sorted now.
Biggest pain was the front deraileur. Cable termination and indexing was a right pain, still not quite right now - who'd a thunk?

Advertisers