Handlebars

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Any comments please?

I get tennis elbow from cycling (just diagnosed) and I wonder if any practical alternative to straight bars are available? I don't want to pay out £1000 plus to find out I can't use the bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Comfort bars are far better, the first three bikes on this webpage have them. Basically raised with handgrips angled back for a better wrist angle.

And existing bars can be changed, there's a wide range of "different" handlbars on these pages.

Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Comfort bars are far better, the first three bikes on this webpage have them. Basically raised with handgrips angled back for a better wrist angle.

And existing bars can be changed, there's a wide range of "different" handlbars on these pages.
I forgot the terminology. Repetitive strain* injuries are a problems for older cyclists. I think the understandable term I was looking for was Dutch style or roadster style handlebars. (*not sure cycling is good for the older cyclist?).

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The handlebars on the Lafree e-bike below that I had originally were exceptionally good. A cycling friend and neighbour tried it out since he'd never tried an e-bike before. When he came back I expected some sort of comment about the electric assist aspect, but instead what he said was "What marvellous handlebars".
High praise from someone who was a drop handlebars roadie.

IMGP1092.JPG

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Just cycled down the library, Straight handlebars and the arm is in a different position with the elbows sticking out. This (I believe: to be verified) puts unecessary strain and is not the best position. After 60 thousand miles it begins to tell? PS: I feel happier with a crossbar at the moment.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
The handlebars on the Lafree e-bike below that I had originally were exceptionally good. A cycling friend and neighbour tried it out since he'd never tried an e-bike before. When he came back I expected some sort of comment about the electric assist aspect, but instead what he said was "What marvellous handlebars".
High praise from someone who was a drop handlebars roadie.

View attachment 12860
How much? Is this one available please? I might be shortlisted.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I got the link for the hanndlebars, I was looking for the Lafree. Right now my injury makes it painful even to fix a puncture. Looking for ready-made ebike. Got to build a shed first.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I got the link for the hanndlebars, I was looking for the Lafree. Right now my injury makes it painful even to fix a puncture. Looking for ready-made ebike. Got to build a shed first.
Sorry, misunderstood. The Giant Lafree was discontinued in 2006 I'm afraid. The Kalkhoffs with similar handlebars that I linked you to above are today's nearest equivalents to the Lafree, but of course much dearer now.

I don't know your budget limits, but the lowest starting point with handlebars like that are Kudos Cycles with the Tempo, City and Liberty models on this webpage. Those Kalkhoffs are nearer the price top end.

But really all you need to do is pick the bike you like best and which best suits your needs and then have the handlebars changed if necessary. In the trade years ago we used to do that routinely for new bike buyers, since it was accepted that buyers have different handlebar preferences.

C

Cyclezee

Below are a couple of photos of bikes with handle bars that I find really comfortable.
IMG_20150715_170639.jpg IMG_20150908_131715.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those eZee bikes that John has posted about just above also have the advantage of very powerful motors which climb well. Among my own bikes are and have been eZee models.

Another thing of interest is that 50cycles the Kalkhoff agents are have their end of season clearance sale. Some at 20% off, including some of the following bikes with the handlebars that suit. Suitable models are the Tasman Classic Impulse Dutch-bike style, the Ergo Impulse, the i60 Harmony and the Tasman Impulse with either 17ah or 11 Ah battery. Price range from £1516 to £2095.

Here's the link.

Check the sizes though, Kalkhoffs come in a range of frame sizes and some are too large for many.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Those eZee bikes that John has posted about just above also have the advantage of very powerful motors which climb well. Among my own bikes are and have been eZee models.
Just to clarify, the lower of the two bikes in the photos above isn't an eZee bike, it's fitted with an eZee conversion kit.

Below is a better view of the bars we used to replace the standard fitment on the converted bike.
IMG_20150907_122949.jpg

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The are on upside down! :p

Seriously I like the riding position with "Moustache" handlebars and my back can still handle the position. We all did that as kids didn't we? Turned the handlebars upside down to make our steed a little more sporty.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Physiotherapist is unable to voice an opinion about the possibility of straight handlebars causing elbow and shoulder problems. Certainly more comfortable with drop handlebars or roadster Dutch style handlebars once the pain is already there. Started building the shed to put the bikes in. Need a cycling professional to say? My pedal bike Pashley (roadster handlebars) is such a rigid bike that it quickly becomes uncomfortable on bumpy roads. Pashley are not a good ride, never have been. Bad geometry, I think.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I feel sure the straight handlebars can be a cause. I know how much I felt the change from the comfortable Lafree handlebars to the straight ones on the following two bikes. I still have one of those following bikes but changed its handlebars long ago.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my last bike had straight cf bars and hated them like on 1 them kids scooters.