handling obstructions on cycle path uk

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
In the two months ive been cycleing im finding out that a lot off people block my cycle path. These include pedestrians lorry drivers are a very comon one some times cars. I also find markings, signage and paths are off poor to dangerouse condition. Where do you stand with the law. Cause your not aloud on pavement next to road. Personally i find it safer to go on pavement or in layby to pass vehicles. Some times once im on the road with 70 mph limit i have to stay in road till a ramp or another layby comes available. Some cycle routes are to dangerouse to ride on due to poor condition but the road is not accessable forceing you onto pavement. Really wondering where i stand as dont have all day to wait for people to move and alternative routes are out the way. Any body got some sound knowledge of this system. As the police just see it all as an offence even though my right off way is being obstructed. Or is it a case off just use the roads ??? Lol. Cheers

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I would say. . Just suck it up! Most road users seem to ignore cycle lanes, and the cyclists that use them, so as one of the more vulnerable road users there's not a lot you can do about it. I would prefer the road rather than the footpath if the lane is blocked, after all we don't want to be mowing down pedestrians.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A cycle lane marked by a spaced line is only advisory, not mandatory, so drivers can still cross into it or park on it.

You are permitted to cycle onto the pavement if you are threatened by traffic and feel the situation dangerous, but that has to be with due consideration to pedestrians and normal cycling speeds are not acceptable then. Nor can you carry out a whole journey on pavements if you feel the route is dangerous, taking to the pavement has to be for a specific identifiable cause.

You will find the full story on footpath cycling on this link, and it's worth reading right through since your legal right to pavement use is explained further down.

Last edited:
Reactions: robert1976

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Cheers. Having a read through that. unless i endanger a pedestrian theres no reason to fine me and if i have to ride in road when cycle path is temperely blocked this is fine to. How ever, dangerouse cycle paths or continuously blocked cycle paths ect. i should find an alternative to route to cycle path/track or main road ie 70mph. And mustnt ride where by laws prohibit

Advertisers