Happy pedalling all - haibike problem

Graham101

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2018
Hi all,

I have a problem with my haibike and have searched the internet with no leads, so I hope someone hear can help.

Haibike sduro with yamaha 36v system 2015.

Battery appears to charge, lights flash as it go from empty to full.
If I test it has 2 flashing cells so up to 300 charge cycles.
Checking voltage I get 40.8v outside pins and 31.8 out to centre.

When I connect battery to bike the display shows all lit up when I press power and then nothing but time. It repeats this but never get to normal display.

Any thoughts/ tests I can do would be appreciated.

Confused in Herts.....

Graham101

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2018
Hi all,

I have a problem with my haibike and have searched the internet with no leads, so I hope someone hear can help.

Haibike sduro with yamaha 36v system 2015.

Battery appears to charge, lights flash as it go from empty to full.
If I test it has 2 flashing cells so up to 300 charge cycles.
Checking voltage I get 40.8v outside pins and 31.8 out to centre.

When I connect battery to bike the display shows all lit up when I press power and then nothing but time. It repeats this but never get to normal display.

Any thoughts/ tests I can do would be appreciated.

Confused in Herts.....
Just a little update as I think 41.5 volts should be seen on 36v battery with multi meter.
So I've left battery on charge until charger and battery turned off. I know see 41.5 volts on outside and 32v on out to centre.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Oh dear, testing with a multimeter to the centre pin can fry the BMS according to our German friends on Pedelecs.de. The battery doesn't output full power to the outside pins until it has communicted with the motor etc via the centre pin. The behaviour of the display suggests the communication is not occuring. This is what happens if I switch my bike on with only my extender battery attached.

Graham101

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2018
Chris

Thanks for replying, so how do I know if the BMS is damaged and could it be replaced if it is?

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Only way I know is to try the battery on another bike. You can download a fairly comprehensive manual with diagnostic info etc by typing x94 series.pdf into google.The 'BMS' is not replaceable and is a lot more than a standard BMS as it includes communications and diagnostics. Again the guys on pedelecs.de have some answers for this including custom made communications etc. Do a search for user gamerpaddy if this sort of thing appeals. Good luck, hopefully it is not as serious, maybe clean the contact points for display and battery with contact cleaner first and be careful what you dowith the multimeter.

Graham101

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2018
Chris, you've helped loads thanks. I'll check out the things to search for and will keep my probes in the case now!

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Keep us posted how you get on
A follow up is always nice :)

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Yes it's a fuse but I think if that was blown you would not have any power anywhere.
I will check how mine behaves without the battery tomorrow.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
So just tested mine. No battery LCD doesn't light up, non Yamaha extender battery fully charged behaves exactly as you described. The system is looking for communication on the centre pin and not getting any so shuts down. If I start the system with both batteries everythin is fine until I remove the Yamaha battery then system shuts down.
Did this happen after a crash, getting wet etc or was everything OK one day and not the next?

Graham101

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2018
Hi, thanks for all the info. No crashes it was a friend's which I have as wasn't being used. Told it worked and then didn't after being left.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I really would try to borrow a battery, even if it means taking it to a dealer for diagnosis. If it is the battery (I'm sure it is) then it cannot be repaired by most people.
Some real enthusiasts on Pedelecs.de (use Chrome and google translate) have reverse engineered the system and may be able to help but it's not for the faint hearted. Having said that I know what I would be doing if it was mine and buying a new battery would be last on the list!

Graham101

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2018
I really would try to borrow a battery, even if it means taking it to a dealer for diagnosis. If it is the battery (I'm sure it is) then it cannot be repaired by most people.
Some real enthusiasts on Pedelecs.de (use Chrome and google translate) have reverse engineered the system and may be able to help but it's not for the faint hearted. Having said that I know what I would be doing if it was mine and buying a new battery would be last on the list!
Ok, so a short update......
I spent a little time checking all the wiring/ connectors as I wasn't near a dealer with no improvement to bike. Finally I packed bike up and took it to a Haibike dealer who has confirmed a battery fault. He will speak to Haibike on options but expect i need to buy another one, so any ideas whats best?

Original isn't an option at £750 but ive seen many others on ebay/ Amazon or other online shops for £380 - £450. Can anyone recommend or have experience for these alternatives?

Thanks for helping

Graham101

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2018
Another update, it might help others or maybe someone can help me more...

I joined the German site and have posted over there to see if others in the know respond.

The battery was checked at 41.5V, but when a load is applied the voltage drops. I removed battery from the case and I can test 41.5v before PCB, I can load with 4amps and voltage stays.
Anyone got thoughts on what I can look for as an error on the circuit board?
Is there a circuit for the board anywhere cos I can't find it?

Graham

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
The voltage drops when you apply a load because the battery is not turned on. It is only a small (probably designed in) current that you are measuring, as soon as you apply any load it collapses. That is why if I have had my extender battery disconnected I fit thè main battery and switch the system on before connecting the extender. If the extender has been left on the bike for charging then it is no problem.
The PCB will not turn on until communications are established with the controller.
Gamerpaddy and Cosas would seem to be the experts on the German forum.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
There's a company on the net that repair batteries and charge a lot less than buying new. www.electricbikesales.co.uk. could save you some money. Type it in Google and you should find the site

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Because it is a closed system with its own communication protocol. The motor needs to communicate with the BMS (it is not a simple BMS like a Chinese battery ) before it will switch on. There are no spare parts available and even if there were you couldnt repair it live, as soon as yo remove power from the BMS it dies.