Has anybody bought Ebike through crowdfunding platform like Indiegogo?

Brian Koch

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2018
London
I can vouch for the Bafang MM G330.
Good economy, excellent torque. Can be paired with generic 48V batteries.
Much better VFM than all the Bosch kits.
Their new mid drive motors are even better.
Thank you for your advice. Do you know the price of the MM G330?

Brian Koch

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2018
London
Yes, it's a lot more perfect than the Bosch with the small sprocket. Whoever came up with that idea should have been sacked. Maybe he/she was.

The Bafang has the massive advantage that you have access to the programming parameters. I've never heard of a single faulty one yet.
Wow, programming sounds too far away from me;). Thank you my friend.

D

Deleted member 4366

It’s also like me being on a track day and moaning I’ve worn a set of tyres out in a day
Play hard and you get breakages on anything
:)
Like I said, on the track day, the Bafang trounced the Bosch on their home ground.

You have to take the chain off to feel the drag. The faster you spin, the more the drag. You should compare with other crank-drives to feel it. Some comments about it here:

https://electricbikereview.com/forum/threads/bosch-performance-motor-vs-brose-shimano-yamaha-drag-vs-full-sized-chainring.14923/

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4366

Wow, programming sounds too far away from me;). Thank you my friend.
It's not really programming. You just connect it to a PC to see the table of settings where you can change the maximum speed, the speed and power in each PAS level and things like that.

D

Deleted member 22539

Like I said, on the track day, the Bafang trounced the Bosch on their home ground.

You have to take the chain off to feel the drag. The faster you spin, the more the drag. You should compare with other crank-drives to feel it. Some comments about it here:

https://electricbikereview.com/forum/threads/bosch-performance-motor-vs-brose-shimano-yamaha-drag-vs-full-sized-chainring.14923/
I would have to try one back to back as im regular on the flat at 20-24mph
No chip i might add :)

What bikes is the Bafang fitted on ? any hardtails .

D

Deleted member 4366

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2141725.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbafang+max+drive.TRS0&_nkw=bafang+max+drive&_sacat=0

The Freego Martin is the only one from any established brand that I know. There are loads around, but you have to hunt them out.

About a year ago, Greenway offered one on Ebay for about £1000, which was snapped up by various forum members, but they soon sold out and haven't listed more since, unfortunately.

They have the advantages that you can use any battery you want, displays can be bought anywhere and you can swap between the different types or even use the bluetooth one if you don't want a display on the handlebars. Plus, you have access to all the settings, so you can change the speed, power, assistance, number of assistance levels and many other things.

Quieter than a Bosch too.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person

Brian Koch

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2018
London
It's not really programming. You just connect it to a PC to see the table of settings where you can change the maximum speed, the speed and power in each PAS level and things like that.
That sounds interesting! But it seems that the max speed is limited due to the EU law ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That sounds interesting! But it seems that the max speed is limited due to the EU law ?
the maximum speed is set by your suppliers who will normally lock the LCD with a password or remove the password access to the settings.

Reactions: Brian Koch

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sir, if I buy a Ebike with 350W motor imported from China, will the government check my Ebike when it arrive at the UK custom? Or I can only buy those with 250W motor?
There are no checks since it isn't illegal to sell any vehicle that doesn't comply with road use law.

The law only applies to the user, not the maker, since the breach can only be when the vehicle is in use.

Brian Koch

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2018
London
There are no checks since it isn't illegal to sell any vehicle that doesn't comply with road use law.

The law only applies to the user, not the maker, since the breach can only be when the vehicle is in use.
Thank you, so under what circumstance will user be checked? Like I'm riding over the restricted speed on road and get stopped by police? Something like that? I don't know.:(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you, so under what circumstance will user be checked? Like I'm riding over the restricted speed on road and get stopped by police? Something like that? I don't know.:(
Judging from the history, you are only likely to suffer a check in the event of your being involved in an accident, and even then only if someone was injured or killed. That's when police traffic officers get involved and some of them do know pedelec law. However, if any 350 watt markings on the motor are removed without trace it's unlikely they'd investigate the motor further.

If the bike you've bought is a high speed machine and you are seen bowling along at near 30 mph without pedalling, that would invite a stop by traffic police, and probably result in the bike being confiscated since it would in law be an uninsured motor vehicle.

Brian Koch

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2018
London
Judging from the history, you are only likely to suffer a check in the event of your being involved in an accident, and even then only if someone was injured or killed. That's when police traffic officers get involved and some of them do know pedelec law. However, if any 350 watt markings on the motor are removed without trace it's unlikely they'd investigate the motor further.

If the bike you've bought is a high speed machine and you are seen bowling along at near 30 mph without pedalling, that would invite a stop by traffic police, and probably result in the bike being confiscated since it would in law be an uninsured motor vehicle.
Your answer really helps me, thank you so much, I was worrying about this question because I really want a 350W Ebike. So is it common for people in Europe to buy 350W Ebike? Will this law affect people's decision on buying a 350W type or 250W type?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your answer really helps me, thank you so much, I was worrying about this question because I really want a 350W Ebike. So is it common for people in Europe to buy 350W Ebike? Will this law affect people's decision on buying a 350W type or 250W type?
It's not common. In some mainland European countries they have a speed pedelec law which permits fast 350 watt machines with registration and insurance, but they are only 1% of pedelec sales.

Here in the UK 350 watt machines are mopeds in law and have to be registered and treated like motorcycles. Some take the risk of not doing that.

My advice is to buy the right 250 watt machine, they are far from equal, some being very powerful. 250 watts isn't an actual top limit, just a rating, the regulations have tolerance and some can put out up to 600 watts for long enough to deal with hills etc.

Reactions: Brian Koch

Brian Koch

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2018
London
It's not common. In some mainland European countries they have a speed pedelec law which permits fast 350 watt machines with registration and insurance, but they are only 1% of pedelec sales.

Here in the UK 350 watt machines are mopeds in law and have to be registered and treated like motorcycles. Some take the risk of not doing that.

My advice is to buy the right 250 watt machine, they are far from equal, some being very powerful. 250 watts isn't an actual top limit, just a rating, the regulations have tolerance and some can put out up to 600 watts for long enough to deal with hills etc.
I got it. Maybe I should buy a 250W mid drive pedelec instead. Really appreciate your help, thank you very much.

Reactions: flecc

MaxiMarry

Just Joined
Mar 26, 2020
In the case of crowdfunding, you subscribe to help the seller. So to speak, you pay your money to support the advertisers to achieve their goals without any guarantees for yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

MaxiMarry

Just Joined
Mar 26, 2020
In the case of crowdfunding, you subscribe to help the seller. So to speak, you pay your money to support the advertisers to achieve their goals without any guarantees for yourself.
We lived in Europe for 3 months and that was a surprise for us that they have a very small % for speed pedelec law for registred and insurance machines with 350 watts. I think it would be better for you to invest in something more alternative and buy the right 250-watt machine to avoid unnecessary costs associated with legislation with transport registration that was described above.