Has anyone looked at Go-ebike ONwheel?

GASBAGSMike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2017
Great Ayton
I have just recently found this forum again and read lots of comments - there is certainly lots of cyclist knowledge on this forum. I have a Koga bike with 14 hub gears and a belt drive, which I used in 2015 to cycle from Budapest to home - about 1450 miles. I now have painful knees (age 68) and am looking to buy an electric bike or to convert my bike. I have been doing quite a bit of research but need help on various issues so will start a few discussions - I hope that the forum does not mind.

Has anyone looked at Go-ebike ONWheel - see https://go-e.bike/en/

This system is made in Austria I think and works by driving the back tyre by a device that is connected under the bottom bracket. I have contacted them and they have replied.
They have their next production run in May.
There are several advantages
  • Plug&Play for fast shift between bicycles
  • In seconds from a bike to an e-bike (after installation of the mounting plate)
  • Low total weight with 3.200g
  • High theft protection by removing the motor and locking the battery
  • Cheap price
  • Self installation is easy in most cases
  • Easy customization to personal needs
  • App for Android and iOS
  • Extremely robust
and some disadvantages
  • Higher tire wear
  • Clearly audible (comparable to an old tire dynamo)
  • Lower efficiency at low speeds compared to mid-engines
I am concerned about the range so any feedback would be very welcome

GASBAGSMike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2017
Great Ayton
The reply from the company when I told them my bike and weight was:
"the engine would be ok as additional support. It is not meant for long lasting use and strong ascents.
Usualy the battery capacity under normal conditions lasts for about 30 km, for your weight probably less."

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There have been many friction drive motors over all the years of e-biking but none have lasted very long in the market. That quite simply is because they are the worst possible way of power assisting a bike, variously suffering limited power transfer, drive slippage especially in the wet, tyre wear and tyre carcase damage.

Best proven simple option is an internally geared wheel hub motor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH