Has Anyone Ridden at a Trail Centre?

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
As well as having beautiful mountains within cycling distance of my house, I also have two trail centres within easy reach by car ;- Bike Park Wales near Merthyr and the Forest of Dean Cannop Cycle Centre. I've never been to one of these places before and have no cycling pals to go with.

Has anyone been to a trail centre such as these? My mum bought me a mtb magazine which lists a load of trails and how to ride them. This magazine has made me think there will be loads of testosterone fueled guys hurtling down the tracks at max speed possible and that me going down at a more cautious pace will hold everyone up (they don't look very wide for overtaking). Am I also likely to get stick for having an electric bike?

Are these places fun, or are they just for the most serious riders? I know there are some green routes but they look too easy and i don't want to be riding a kids trail. Any thoughts appreciated. :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Leaving aside electric bikes for a moment, riders travelling at different speeds can be a problem at trail centres.

Not least because I believe a lot of routes now appear on stupid Strava, encouraging test pilots.

I expect you will receive a sarky comment or two, not least from the Strava louts who fear you are trying to post times.

On t'other hand, I think a lot of centres are quiet a lot of the time, so you may be able to tootle around seeing hardly anyone.

Reactions: TinKitten

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
As well as having beautiful mountains within cycling distance of my house, I also have two trail centres within easy reach by car ;- Bike Park Wales near Merthyr and the Forest of Dean Cannop Cycle Centre. I've never been to one of these places before and have no cycling pals to go with.

Has anyone been to a trail centre such as these? My mum bought me a mtb magazine which lists a load of trails and how to ride them. This magazine has made me think there will be loads of testosterone fueled guys hurtling down the tracks at max speed possible and that me going down at a more cautious pace will hold everyone up (they don't look very wide for overtaking). Am I also likely to get stick for having an electric bike?

Are these places fun, or are they just for the most serious riders? I know there are some green routes but they look too easy and i don't want to be riding a kids trail. Any thoughts appreciated. :)
I've done Gisburn on my ebike - great fun and did the entire "the 8" red run and rode some bits guys with "all the gear" were walking down! Did a couple of black runs as well - Hully Gully was especially fun but I didn't do the New Hope Line as I don't do jumps.

I've been to Bike Park Wales but not on my ebike - generally speaking blue runs are good for ebikes there - some of the red runs are good for ebikes too but some have non avoidable drop offs - I'll do them if I have to but Igenerally avoid sections where wheels leave the ground! I wouldn't say black runs there are suitable for ebikes - they generally need 200mm+ travel full suspension bikes with associated ******* size!

Try and find someone that's been to either place before so you can get tips of what's coming etc. Above all, ride at a pace comfortable to you - if you think there is someone behind you and you're holding them up - shout "stopping" and pull off to the side and let them past. Just remember, everyone was a novice the first time they went.

Get on you tube and watch some of the videos of runs and see if it's what your after.

You might get some stick for riding an ebike but just shrug it off and enjoy the ride.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I enjoy having a bash at the blue runs at Lanhydrock and Cardinham woods, down here in Cornwall.
Haven't progressed to red yet as I'm 65 and don't bounce like I used to, but I don't get any stick from anyone, other than good-natured abuse

Just bought a used bouncer intending to put a CST in the back wheel, but took it out to Lanhydrock today and surprised myself how much I enjoyed riding unpowered _ Even managed to stay with a pair of young bloods on the Timber trail

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
I've ridden the Ashton Court trail in Bristol a few times. Brilliant fun, got called a cheat a couple of times but most of the guys are faster than me round here anyway, I've pulled over to let some past & tried to keep up, not a hope.
If I go early on a Sunday its generally quiet so I can go at my own pace & not get in anyones way.

clanky

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2014
Lincolnshire
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll wait for a day when the weather is nice, I have time and I'm feeling brave, then I'll give the Forest of Dean a try. :)

Hi TinKitten,

Good thread, I'd never heard of Strava or Trail Centres before, now I know and I love to learn new stuff . I don't think Strava is for me though.

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I'm using ViewRanger on my Android phone to plot my routes, rather than Strava. It tells you distance travelled, altitude, average speed and time taken. You can record where you rode or plot a route to follow. I tried to set one up for my trip to Raglan Castle on Tuesday, but for some reason it seemed to be obsessed with starting me off in the ocean near Ghana and no matter how many times I checked my plotted route on the computer, this mystery African waypoint still crept in.

As an aside, when I was at the castle I encouraged the custodian's 13 year old son to have a ride on my bike since he enjoys cycling. And he liked it. But I also saw that one of the re-enactors that I know was eyeing up the bike with eager curiosity so I invited him to have a go too. It was a real sight to see him whizzing round the car park in his civil war costume, desperately trying to hold his old fashioned wide brimmed hat on as he picked up speed! Wish I'd had the presence of mind to take a photo! :)

Reactions: clanky

Advertisers