Has anyone tried Immobibike or Bikeregister?

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
I was thinking of registering both my wife’s and my bikes to help identify if stolen.

It seems the two main ones are Immobibike and Bikeregister, both of which have a database that the police use if they find any bikes.

Bikeregister uses a stencil system to mark the bike somewhere on the frame that contains a unique ID number that can be tracked back to the owner.

Immobibike uses a small device that is put inside the seat down tube and can be detected with a scanner, giving a unique ID that tracks back to the owner.

I don’t particularly want to mark the bike and would imagine the marking could be filed off or painted over so am leaning toward Immobibike.

I was wondering if anyone had used either of these or knew of anyone that had their bike returned due to having used one of these system.

-------------------
Edited as I got the two system the wrong way round. Thanks to @cyclebuddy for pointing it out.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Bikeregister uses a small device that is put inside the seat down tube and can be detected with a scanner, giving a unique ID that tracks back to the owner.
ImmobiBike is a similar chip system here - in both my e-bikes. You buy an RFID chip that you push into your seatpost downtube with a broom handle. Plod use scanners to read the chip and check against the database. Halfords sell them too (£12 last time I bought one). DataTag offer a similar one, which is in my old analogue bike, but still registered on immobilise.

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
ImmobiBike is a similar chip system here - in both my e-bikes. You buy an RFID chip that you push into your seatpost downtube with a broom handle. Plod use scanners to read the chip and check against the database. Halfords sell them too (£12 last time I bought one). DataTag offer a similar one, which is in my old analogue bike, but still registered on immobilise.
Apologies and thanks for the correction, I got the two the wrong way round, Bikeregister uses the stencil system and Immobibike the chip system.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Who knows if Plod actually scan recovered bikes anyway, but on an e-bike of your value, I'd say it's a no-brainer. Having the bike tagged might just save the day.

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Who knows if Plod actually scan recovered bikes anyway, but on an e-bike of your value, I'd say it's a no-brainer. Having the bike tagged might just save the day.
Yes, I did think that. I can't image scanning bikes is top of their list. I prefer the stencil approach in as much as the ID is visible and obvious so more chance of going to a website and entering the code. Also, if somebody is buying off a marketplace it gives them something to check, although as I said any thief could just paint or put a sticker over it which makes it pointless. Both systems comes with 'tamper-proof' stickers whatever that means.

For a layout of £30 on over £6000 of bikes it's worth it I think. I was just interested to see if there was anyone that actually had a bike returned through one of these systems.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
My leased bike is on Bike register, done by the bike shop or supplier before delivery, conspicuous but neat and tidy.

Might not works as well on red frames!IMG_20211208_115747946.jpg

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Also, if somebody is buying off a marketplace it gives them something to check, although as I said any thief could just paint or put a sticker over it which makes it pointless. Both systems comes with 'tamper-proof' stickers whatever that means.
The ImmobiBike stickers are a thin film with super-strong adhesive. One of mine accidentally went on squint. It looked naff, so with difficulty and mild solvent, I removed it without any paint damage.

There's nothing stopping you registering your bikes with Immobilise using your frame serial numbers; IIRC that's free. The RFID chip is IMHO a back-up. Every deterrent helps.