Has anyone tried the new Emu Mini folding e-bike?

velocitygirl

Just Joined
Oct 23, 2018
Sheffield
I've been commuting on my Brompton for a while now, but the steep hills are absolutely killing me! An electric Brompton is pretty much out of the question due to the crazy price, so I've been looking in vain for the non-existent lightweight, compact, cheaper e-bike.

I came across this new one from Emu: https://www.emubikes.com/shop/bikes/emu-folding-electric-bike-in-black-with-battery-2018-model

I plan to head down to Ebike Centres in Leicester at some point to hopefully give it a try, but wanted to check if anyone here has seen or used one yet? I take the train every morning so it's really important for me to have something that fits into the luggage section in the pic below (bonus if it's light enough for me to lift on without dying!)

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Check out my review of my Kwikfold Xite-3. It has got a rear Bafang motor. It’s a very good hill climber. It now comes in an aluminium version for not much more £s.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Not seen the Emu before. You might also consider Woosh Galego or Kudos K16. Links available on forum home page.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Nothing folds as neatly as a Brompton.

The Emu bike will be unwieldy and may not fit in the luggage compartment.

A budget of a £1,000 would allow you to convert your Brompton.

The fold would be the same, but it would be heavier and you would have a separate battery to lug around.

rogueosb

Just Joined
Oct 23, 2018
A budget of a £1,000 would allow you to convert your Brompton.
I've had a look around and the two best options at this price point seems to be the Nano or Sparticle kit. Is there much difference in the quality of these two? Also are there any others in the same price range I may have missed?

Thanks

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've had a look around and the two best options at this price point seems to be the Nano or Sparticle kit. Is there much difference in the quality of these two? Also are there any others in the same price range I may have missed?

Thanks
My Nano kit was basic Chinese components, reliable enough in my hands although the solicitor I sold it to had to replace the motor and the battery over time.

I'm not familiar with the Sparticle kit, but it looks similar.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Nano Brompton used the Tongxin Nano motor which can suffer some problems with the roller drive slipping and a broken internal drive ring. It has to be said though that these were more rare in the 16" wheel application than in larger wheels.

Though slightly heavier, the Sparticle is the more reliable bet long term, based on a Bafang motor.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I can recommend Sparticle. You could of course sell your Brompton and buy my Sparticle conversion (see classified section).