Has anyone tried the ultra cheap Argos 700c electric bike?

crunchie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2018
UK
I realise this bike looks way too cheap, and it’s heavy but even if it only lasted a year I would save money on parking/fuel on my hilly 3 mile commute.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8019378

Has anyone tried it already? I’m wondering if it’s a rebrand .

At the moment I’m not comfortable with spending £1500 on an ebike for such a short journey

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Blimey :eek: it's a folding 700c as well.
It will do a 3 mile commute the hub is a Mxus ( Decent brand) it may lack torque and oomph for very steep hills or long uphill drags, however one reviewer from hilly Bristol seems to think it's a ok.
It is cheap and cheerful so as you say not much to lose, but looks to be very good value for a 36v bike. What's their return policy if it's not to your liking if you try it out on your commute. For a cheap bike you get a bit of front suspension and cable disc brakes.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Not bad for a bike that comes with full mud guards, kick stand and disc brakes. Argos are usually pretty rock solid on returns and warranty, so go for it :)

D

Deleted member 22539

Thats cheap
As you already said if it only does a year you would be happy so what have you got to lose how bad could it be .

Reactions: JimRides

crunchie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2018
UK
Thats cheap
As you already said if it only does a year you would be happy so what have you got to lose how bad could it be .
Well at the moment, possibly only my dignity :) I’m not sure if it looks cool, or girly yet. Depends on the angle lol

D

Deleted member 22539

Well at the moment, possibly only my dignity :) I’m not sure if it looks cool, or girly yet. Depends on the angle lol
If its any help I wouldnt ride it but my wife just said when i opened the link
"Thats a nice bike"
Take from that what you want :)

Reactions: Parky

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Biggest problem I see is fitting a rear rack.Cant quite understand why they didn't include it and fit the battery there as most manufacturers do?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With lack of racks fixings, one could resort to using a Thule pack n pedal rack though at about £100 with side racks not overly cheap but robust and very good and should fit any bike front or rear.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The battery is small, hence the quick recharge time, rather than 45 miles think in terms of 28 , but that is still ok...