Has Giant manufactured their own crank drive system?

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Doesn't look like a Bosch at all...... but it does look suspiciously like a Yam motor.
Maybe Yamaha make it and just let Giant brand it under license.

Reactions: Fordulike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I agree, and I prefer the larger chainwheel to the new Bosch tiddler.

Knowing how reliable Yamaha's early crank motors were, this new one could become one of the greats of e-biking
Not tried one myself yet..... i'll have to get a spin on one when i get the chance.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I saw the Giant in flesh and er aluminium on Monday when I went to the LBS for brake pads. Very nice looking bike.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Have to admit I'm impressed by its looks....I do like the integrated battery.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I quite like this one that another member linked to a while back.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/road.e.1/24987/90635/

I'm not 100% sure about the marriage of road bike and electric bike due to weight issues. The two don't seem compatible somehow, but I do like the look of it. Maybe a hybrid type bike of similar style would be better.

I've always likes Giant bikes. I think they are well made and well specified for the price. That Yamaha motor shows promise too and it would be good to see it take more of the European market away from Bosch and the Impulse drives. Tiny front sprockets, belts and auto power cutting when shifting gear to prevent chewed up gears. It all sounds like too much of a compromise. The Japs know a thing or two about bike propulsion systems, so I hope this Yamaha motor does well.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Good to see manufacturers are starting to introduce fast chargers as standard too. 4 amps on that Giant road bike, instead of the usual 2 amp charger.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
You weren't allowed/supposed to see that. My name is already on the end of year sales list for that. :D

I really loved the Defy 3 that I borrowed some time back. The sportive geometry made it a very nice ride. If the e-bike is as good as that, it would be one hell of a bike. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Artstu

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You weren't allowed/supposed to see that. My name is already on the end of year sales list for that. :D

I really loved a the Defy 3 that I borrowed some time back. The sportive geometry made it a very nice ride. If the e-bike is as good as that, it would be one hell of a bike. :)
Speaking of new bikes, when are we going to see some pics of your e-Race?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not broke it then :p