Have a duty bill

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Purchased a kit on ebay from greenergymotor8 shipping from uk but no delivery just a note from the post office wanting £75.98 :eek:
The answer to why is the paypal address is in china :mad:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The UK warehosue is just convenient redirect front where the company doesn't pay tax but the end user will do, likely one of the many companies RM have on there radar for the collection of duties due.

I haven't ordered yet but expect a similar affair if I order a tsdz from Risunuk.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The listing said stock in uk warehouse and the original listing had tax free
I now its buyer beware but it will still be a hard lesson

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i buy transformers from china but dont tend to spend more than £200 max but i have never paid any shipping costs or any import duty yet.

i bought one last night for 42 quid but every one goes through customs when checking the tracking and all are delivered mostly buy hermes this end via china post from hong kong.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Went to the sorting office today the package was a small envelope not much bigger than a postage stamp
The declaration was for a e bike motor sticker value £330 ? no big box no other parcel
Refused delivery and told them to send it back to the sender a uk address near Heathrow airport
The post office staff said customs a tightening up on parcels from china

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
This is a shocking disgrace. Seems as far as I can see that you bought a motor and were sent a sticker and a wopping duty charge.

I hope you can get your money back from ebay. Makes me VERY suspicious of dealing with Chinese companies on ebay, but I already have been bitten a few times with false claims and counterfeit goods.

The last attempt relevant to this forum was when I attempted to buy a Bafang mid drive motor and a battery from a Chinese company which promised four day delivery for the products on offer. So I shelled out the £700 (it was about that in June) and after the order was accepted, I got an email saying the motor will be on its way pronto, but the battery will take a month or so to come from China....... Woooah!!! says I, what about the four day delivery you promised? Lots of argie bargie and excuses then I cancelled the order and got a refund by complaining to ebay that they had changed the deal.

I am increasingly unlikely to order from China now. I have had good experience, and some VERY bad.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: GLJoe

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Aren't you a bit old for children's toys SW ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Went to the sorting office today the package was a small envelope not much bigger than a postage stamp
The declaration was for a e bike motor sticker value £330 ? no big box no other parcel
Refused delivery and told them to send it back to the sender a uk address near Heathrow airport
Bloody hell Peter, looks like you have been shafted well and truly.
What a scam.

Time to try and get your money back, ebay has a delay in being able to open a resolution/dispute.
Was Paypal involved ?

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there not kids toys as would not last 5 mins as would just throw it at the wall as some are super complicated to transform and can brake easy if you force something the wrong way.

plus i could sell it on ebay and double my money as selling for 80 quid atm ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'd definitely approach ebay to get money back - they will have a record of the original false listing.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Just going over the ebay messages it states split in to two packages the motor and the free gift !
must be the free gift that keeps on giving the tracking number is to the small envelope and starts in China and now shows returning to 3rd party mail centre in Hayes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You might be ok then if in two lots, the stickers returned is a good move as at £76 is expensive for free gift .

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I wonder if this a deliberate play on words by the seller (or something that has got lost in the translation from Chinese) in that the UK Warehouse is a Bonded Warehouse which would indeed mean the item was as yet free of tax?
Just going over the ebay messages it states split in to two packages the motor and the free gift !
And is the 'two package' all part of the deception in that
  • the seller is oblidged by the terms of trading with the UK to declare the total value of the purchase, but sticks that declaration on the part of the package with the 'junk/free' item in it
  • and then if that 'junk/free' item actually attracts the import duty and the buyer rejects it, then it's no big deal to either party
  • and finally of course, the 2nd part of the purchase carries no import duty as theoretically the duty is on the first item (which is rejected by the seller)
That just a hypothesis of course, but I'm wondering if it's a hole in the procedure for collecting import duty?

@peter.c - do keep us informed on the 2nd part of the delivery and whether it attracts any import duty?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Maybe UK customs are finally getting their act together? I hope not! You've been pretty lucky recently with that controller from greenbikekit, and the very well specified :oops: battery (how is that doing by the way? I can't find that thread)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
got it today and no customs fees tho it was only £42 and free postage from china :p

but if i want a new seat pan for my chair it is £56, +£32 postage and £30 import fee from the usa as only place i can find a new one :eek:

i just dont get it buy from the eu or the usa and get stung like a bitch with postage and import fees buy from china and dont pay anything even if the item is fake lol.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
got it today and no customs fees ...........

i just dont get it buy from the eu or the usa and get stung like a bitch with postage and import fees buy from china and dont pay anything even if the item is fake lol.
It might be just a random thing in that there aren't enough customs agents to process the literally tons of stuff that comes from abroad.

I had 4x TSDZ2 kits and batteries from Germany over several weeks/packages during September, and no duty or anything (and all in less than 6 working days delivery)