Headway bike experience anyone??

Auldgit

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2009
Chester
Has anyone out there any experience of Headway bikes?? I've seen a few references to their batteries but none to the complete bike. Any info gratefully received.

AG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's because the makers, Zhejiang, are principally a battery and communications equipment manufacturer. They supply batteries for some of the cheap Chinese e-bike makes.

I can only see this folding bike on offer to importers via Alibaba at present, no signs of a national agent. However, it's just another Chinese generic e-folder, there's plenty just like it on the market to choose from, using the same sort of batteries.

For example this Cyclamatic uses a battery from the same maker and the same type of rear motor and derailleur arrangement. Some of our members own one of these.

Last edited:

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
Flecc,

From my experience Headway cells are as good or far superior than the majority of the batteries than most of the so called high end e bike manufacturers use. They can do a genuine 5C, so 50A for a 10Ah pack, that's not bad....

Which Cheap Chinese E bike Manufacturers use Headway Cells? From what I've seen Headway cells are popular across the whole spectrum of EVs with people who can see that they offer good value for a cell that performs to at least a mid level or better.

From what I've seen most high end e bike manufacturers are still using Li Ion cells which are cheaper per whr and have much reduced life cycle than Lifepo4, but they're lighter, so it looks good on the spec sheet. I'm sorry but I'm not convinced by this whole reliability thing that has been pushed, it BS IMO.

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
I'm not saying their bikes are great, if anything Headway have a bit of a track record of supplying less than than premium quality on anything that is not cells. The bike is likely fairly reasonable but not perfect and I wouldn't be surprised if it had some fairly fundamental (but not necessarily expensive to remedy) faults. If you are a little handy and not too fussy it will likely do the job at a relatively low cost, but you might have a few teething problems ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Flecc, is there any feedback on the quality of the batteries they produce??
I don't know of any at all. The trouble with most e-bike lithium batteries is that progress and change is so rapid that they never stay the same for long enough for feedback to be of much use.

For example, the earlier generation of batteries made by Phylion were by far the worst I've known and notorious for early failures. I finished off one in 3 months, one in 6 months and one in 10 months. Their latest I've had for just over two years and has been by far the best performing battery I've used on my bike, though it's starting to serve notice now.

mavmac

Just Joined
Oct 19, 2011
I have one for over three years it is a bit heavy but I am happy with it. I need a new battery as mine doesn't hold the charge as long as it used to