HEALTH! Or die trying . . . _ _ _ . . .

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It was hard but I gave up sugar some time ago. Every so often I crave a sweet tasting hot beverage and am wary of aspartame, also hate it's taste, which seems to me specifically manufactured to remind you, that you are not tasting sugar... so I've been trying erythritol, and so far it's been hitting the sweet spot - it tastes sweet, but not exactly like sugar, and has no overly particularly discernable, significantly awful aftertaste. A downside is that like mouthwash, it kills mouth and gut bacteria - regular Natto and kefir consumption should keep those tiny beasties topped up.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Like you, I gave up extra sugar a while back and I try to eat meals that have nutritional value and not empty calories.

In my case, I was fed up of just feeling blurgh all the time and felt I needed to combat the effects of old age.

The surprising thing I found, was how super crap I felt for the first week or so, as my body was getting used to no naughty treats and a boatload of extra vitamins and minerals from natural food.

Withdrawal effects were horrible. Headaches, lethargy, crappy sleep, brain fog, nearly caused me to go back to eating rubbish, just to stop the effects.

Luckily I persevered, as I now feel way better than I have in years. I didn't realise the negative effects sugar has on the body.

I still have my naughty days, but turning my back on extra sugar has been one of the best things I've ever done, apart from buying an ebike of course :D

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"blurgh" is exactly the right word! I took up intermittent fasting to lose weight because after a trip to my optician, to find out why the heck I couldn't see clearly anymore, and was always stumbling around unless the lights were extremely bright... it transpired that I had CSR in both eyes:

...which makes straight lines in this Amsler grid:

...look like this, when viewed with one eye - when using both, my brain straightens them out:

..and that's how it looks to me now. After losing over two and a half stones, taking up slow jogging and cutting out sugar (I did this in the absence of any information from my Consultant regarding what caused my CSR), it resolved in both eyes, but permanent distorions remained. Then I got a bit cocky, started consuming sugar again last year and all of a sudden, CSR retuned in my right eye. Therefore I kicked sugar again and my latest scan shows improvement, I think, the reason why I'm unsure is because it was just an appointment for a scan without a consultation afterwards. I was told I'd be called if there was anything of importance noted.

Anyway, lesson learned: Don't consume sugar guerney you mad fool!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fordulike
R

ritayong

Suger is my weakness ;in my holl life i try other alternative but i find my self retourned into processed sugar ;that make me happy imidiately but feeling terrible after .so i try some tips to cutting down on sugar and it's very usful

E

Erin0110

I'm really addicted to sugar and also trying to refuse from it
thanks for links

Maxxx17

Just Joined
May 29, 2022
You're doing a great job of giving up sugar. For me it is necessary to try to give up all such bad habits, especially those that negatively affect our health. I also thought about what supplements should i take to improve my condition. So I went to the doctor for recommendations as self-medication is not the best idea.

Last edited:

Advertisers