Heatwave!

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
I am relatively new to this site so please excuse teaching granny to suck eggs(sorry grannies) but, these abnormal high temperatures in the UK at the moment will have direct effect on your cycle batteries. In some cases weakening the output and in extreme cases they could explode. If you leave your bike out for any reason try to put it in the shade or if possible and practical remove it. Just a simple tip from an experienced electrical and automation engineer with over 50 years experience.

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
You are correct, but,that is ambient temperature ie what is the local temperature is. However, as you use your bike the motor draws current from the battery and generates heat itself, the more you draw the more energy is generated. Normally this would be air-cooled as you ride and normally this is not an issue.Most Rechargeable batteries operate between -20 and 60 degrees safely but during a heatwave leaving a battery directly in the sun means the already existing heat has no escape and will rise quickly. My apple aluminium MacBook generates a lot of heat when it is driven hard so much the bottom is to hot for my lap. Now take it outside in the sun and see if you can hold it. Battery cases are mainly composite plastic and dont dissipate heat very quickly(feel it when you have done along ride) its just a cautionary message.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mac books are programmed to self destruct after apple care runs out ;)

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I wish i had read this post an hour ago. I went out on my ebike to buy a bag of caramels and the battery exploded just as I was passing the launderette. It’s blown both legs off below the knee.
Time to buy a folding bike.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Although excessive levels of heat will affect the longevity of a battery, they will actually deliver MORE power when warm (as opposed to cold) due to increased ionic motion rates. This is why Tesla batteries are preheated when operating in 'ludicrous mode', so to ensure they are able to deliver the highest possible instantaneous power.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
the gearbox in my car is lovely in this heat, must get around to getting a lighter oil in there for our more normal conditions.

• Agree
Reactions: Zac and tillson

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
Well, it has only been slightly above 30C which is nothing for the South of France let alone Spain Italy and Greece.
So, how do they manage?
The temperature on most days over here in the summer are over 30C, for battery care I never leave it on the bike outside when not required, and keep it indoors with A/C on, and only fully charge it the night before I know I am going out for a ride.

Reactions: flecc