Heinzmann Direct Drive Kit

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
Does anybody have one of these and what do you think about it ? I have a Specialized Rockhopper and rather than buy a new MTB pedelec, I am considering the new Heinzmann kit. I had the old classic one and found it very powerful but quite noisy. Any thought on this kit welcome.

C

Cyclezee

Does anybody have one of these and what do you think about it ? I have a Specialized Rockhopper and rather than buy a new MTB pedelec, I am considering the new Heinzmann kit. I had the old classic one and found it very powerful but quite noisy. Any thought on this kit welcome.
Hi Stephen,

I don't know if we have any owners on the forum.

The best I can do is point you towards some reviews of the Direct Power system which is the same as fitted to Heinzmann bikes.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/electric-bike-reviews/group-review-heinzmann-pan-etr/

In the December edition of AtoB there was a review of the Heinzmann eMB, an MTB also with the Direct Power system, but you need to subscriber or pay 99p. to download from http://www.atob.org.uk/store/products/b-105-dec-2014-heinzmann-atlas-emb-electric-bikes-1300/

If you send me an email I can send you a PDF of a comparison review by the respected cycling journalist Richard Peace which was published in a couple of magazines.

Please note prices have come down considerably since those reviews.

I hope that helps.

Any thought on this kit welcome
The Heinzmann motor is very powerfull and have not so much heat-problems as the bionx. I would prefer Heinzmann much more as bionx
Quite, Powerfull, runs up to 38km/h with unlocked controller or up to 50km/h depending on the typ of motor in 28" wheel
The spare-parts are "cheap", in compare to Bionx nearly half price
Heinzmann has just one problem, when the battery is empty it has a resistant that make no fun

I know a lot of ebike-riders they changed from Bionx to Heinzmannand feel now satisfied

regards
frank

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclezee

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Hi Stephen,

I don't know if we have any owners on the forum.

The best I can do is point you towards some reviews of the Direct Power system which is the same as fitted to Heinzmann bikes.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/electric-bike-reviews/group-review-heinzmann-pan-etr/

In the December edition of AtoB there was a review of the Heinzmann eMB, an MTB also with the Direct Power system, but you need to subscriber or pay 99p. to download from http://www.atob.org.uk/store/products/b-105-dec-2014-heinzmann-atlas-emb-electric-bikes-1300/

If you send me an email I can send you a PDF of a comparison review by the respected cycling journalist Richard Peace which was published in a couple of magazines.

Please note prices have come down considerably since those reviews.

I hope that helps.
Thanks,

I have ordered the A2B information today.

My e mail is snipenose@gmail.com.

It's just a shame there are no Heinzmann bikes to try out in the North of England. As you will appeciate riding is always the best test, especially on routes you know well.

I look forward to receiving the information.

Have a peaceful and restful Christmas, if that's no a slight contradiction.

Best Wishes

Steve Gray

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
The Heinzmann motor is very powerfull and have not so much heatproblems as the bionx. I would prefer Heinzmann much more as bionx
Quite, Powerfull, runs up to 38km/h with unlocked controller or up to 50km/h depending on the typ of motor in 28" wheel
The spare-parts are "cheap", in compare to Bionx nearly half price
Heinzmann has just one problem, when the battery is empty it has a resistant that make no fun

I know a lot of ebike-riders they changed from Bionx to Heinzmannand feel now satisfied

regards
frank
Hello Frank,

Thanks very much for your reply. I would not look at Bionx because of their very expensive batteries.

I have no wish to derestrict the motor, I am looking for good hill climbing ability and reasonable range.

Best wishes for Christmas and the new year.

Steve Gray

C

Cyclezee

Thanks,

I have ordered the A2B information today.

My e mail is snipenose@gmail.com.

It's just a shame there are no Heinzmann bikes to try out in the North of England. As you will appeciate riding is always the best test, especially on routes you know well.

I look forward to receiving the information.

Have a peaceful and restful Christmas, if that's no a slight contradiction.

Best Wishes

Steve Gray
Hi Steve,

As requested I have sent an email with the comparison test by Richard Peace.
I'm not certain, but I believe there was also a review published in Electric Bike Magazine, it was round about the time when the magazine was taken over by new owners and I haven't been able to find a download.

Richard actually wanted to test the kit not realising at the time that we had complete Heinzmann bikes so he opted for the PAN eTR, the day after taking the demo bike to Richard, Davis Henshaw of AtoB wanted to review the PAN eTR but as that was unavailable so I took him the Atlas eMB instead.

The PAN eTR came back very clean and well cared for, in contrast the the Atlas eMB came back looking like it had been dragged through a hedge backwards which I guess it had been, after all it's a mountain bike.

Regarding the north of England, we do have owners there and one not a million miles from you who has both a kit and Heinzmann bike, but they are not forum members or members of our rider reward scheme so i'm afraid we can't pass on any details.

Perhaps the closest one to you might possible be willing to discuss or demonstrate his conversion is in Cheshire, but that's not exactly close to the North East.

Last edited by a moderator: