hello ...ebike fan

rjosephb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2018
hi all,
found this forum via internet search.
i have owned a cyclamatic power plus for 4 trouble free years until yesterday.
i went out fully charged and within 1/4 of a mile, mainly inclined ,the bike cut out ....no handlebar led's showing.

i switches off then on again and the power restored.
i went for another mile .mainly flat, then up another incline and the bike cut out again.

i returned home and checked the fuse and cleaned the battery terminals but the problem still remains.

grateful for any advice on this issue.

thanks

rjosephb

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
Welcome
I can’t personally help you with this particular problem but if you have no luck here in the introduction section try the main threads as not everyone looks in here
:)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
At 4 years old the issue is most certainly a battery issue and is an indication of cells ageing. The cutting out on inclines is battery sag or voltage collapsing under amp load, the battery has a pcb we call it a BMS. It is programmed to cut out once the voltage hits a minimum figure known as LVC (low voltage cut off) most certainly this is happening. Once the load is reduced cresting a hill, ridjng downhill or on level terrain the voltage rebounds and all works again as if nothing is wrong all for it to occur again with a hill.
Using full throttle will have the same affect on level terrain.

To be blunt the battery is all but knackered for use on inclines and on full power.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There is one other possibility that the battery cells are unbalanced and may have one weak or cell string/group that is a at a lower voltage then the rest. The only way of knowing is to open the battery case and check the individual voltages with a mutli meter. We can guide you if you feel capable of opening the case for checks, the hard bit is opening the case & closing again.
Checking cell voltage is easy.
But most likely the findings are as I mentioned in #3.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I fear Neal is right. However all is not lost. You should be able to get your battery re-celled and probably end up with a higher capacity battery, then you can carry on enjoying your bike.
The contact is:
https://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/
The man to speak to is Jimmy. They have a service where they will arrange to have your old battery picked up, asess it, let you know the costs and technicals, then return your battery to you rejuvinated.

rjosephb

Sep 3, 2018
thank you all for your replies.

i. after opening the case what voltage readings can i expect.

2. i have seen replacement cells online for around £60.

3. new battery for around £160.

4. benjahmin......i saw a site online re-celling batteries for £250. l have not managed to locate jiimmy's site yet.

thanks for any feedback.

rj

rjosephb

Sep 3, 2018

4. benjahmin......i saw a site online re-celling batteries for £250. l have not managed to locate jiimmy's site yet.

thanks for any feedback.

rj

rjosephb

Sep 3, 2018

thanks for any feedback.

rj
please ignore no. 2
the cells i saw online were for conversion kits.

rj