Hello from germany - here to make Nyon-Users happy(er) :)

cgiesche

Just Joined
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
Hello everyone!

My name is Christoph and I am a satisfied Bosch pedelec owner (Cannondale Tramout 2) from germany. A few month ago, I got a Nyon to collect statistics of my rides. Unfortunately I quickly found out that Nyon users are compelled to use the bosch online portal wich does not (yet?) allow to export tracks as GPX.

As I am not only a pedelec driver, but also a software developer, I decided to take a closer look at the ebike-connect web page an found out, that it is quite easy to access the public bosch service endpoints to get "raw" track data.

Short story shorter: I developed a small tool (based on JAVA) that allowes Nyon users to view track details and even export them as GPX files. It looks like this (language should switch to english depending on your locale):

screenshot.png

If you are interested, feel free to give it a try. It is open source and can be found on github:
https://github.com/cgiesche/ebikeconnect-gui (scroll to the bottom to find installation instructions)

If you like to participate in development or have ideas how to improve the tool, feel free to open an issue on github or let me know in this forum. Please keep in mind, that this is a free time project - so there ist no guarantee that requested features will be implemented instantly ;)

Regards
Christoph

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
This looks good to me. I have been trying to find a way of getting my data out of Bosch's website and taking control of the information which Bosch stole from me.
I far prefer the idea of a PC program rather than an app, so I can store the data locally and securely.
I would like to be able to download all my data before it is lost and to be able to show after downloading information like the trips and the power information if possible. It is not clear from your pictures exactly how much of this your software does.
If this is not possible I would like a means of setting up a batch job for the portal to run through all my data from start to finish and save each of the map and power screens as a pdf file. I don't know if this is what your program is already doing?
My main worry about your software is the security of my information. It is bad enough being forced to give it to Bosch, but I am unsure about passing my login info and data through some unknown Java software.
I understand the software is Open Source, so I should be able to check its operation, but I am no Java coder and its a long long time since I wrote any software.
Is there any easy way I can assure that my data and my PC is secure?

cgiesche

Just Joined
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
I would like to be able to download all my data before it is lost and to be able to show after downloading information like the trips and the power information if possible. It is not clear from your pictures exactly how much of this your software does.
My software uses the same data-source that Bosch uses to display your trips on their portal. My initial idea was to "free" my trips from being only available on their website by allowing to export them as GPX or TCX files. Both file formats contain (nearly) all interesting information about a trip (the track as gps coordinates, heartrate, cadence and timestamps). I personally save all my trips as GPX and TCX file as they contain all information i need.

If this is not possible I would like a means of setting up a batch job for the portal to run through all my data from start to finish and save each of the map and power screens as a pdf file. I don't know if this is what your program is already doing?
It does not. It takes the properitary raw (very technical) data, converts them to a common (de facto standard (GPX)) format and allows to export them to your computer. From that files, you can for example recreate maps of your trips. Currently, you have to export each trip manually - I felt the need for an "export all" feature, but did not have the time to implement it (yet).

My main worry about your software is the security of my information. It is bad enough being forced to give it to Bosch, but I am unsure about passing my login info and data through some unknown Java software.
I understand the software is Open Source, so I should be able to check its operation, but I am no Java coder and its a long long time since I wrote any software.
Is there any easy way I can assure that my data and my PC is secure?
I can understand your worries about that. There is no way for me to prove that I am not stealing your login data (except for allowing you to take a look at the source code - what might not help you at all). All i can do is to assure that the software does nothing but running on your computer and "talking" only to the bosch website. And, to be honest, I am not very interested in your (or anyone elses) driving performance ;).

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
My software uses the same data-source that Bosch uses to display your trips on their portal. My initial idea was to "free" my trips from being only available on their website by allowing to export them as GPX or TCX files. Both file formats contain (nearly) all interesting information about a trip (the track as gps coordinates, heartrate, cadence and timestamps). I personally save all my trips as GPX and TCX file as they contain all information i need.

It does not. It takes the properitary raw (very technical) data, converts them to a common (de facto standard (GPX)) format and allows to export them to your computer. From that files, you can for example recreate maps of your trips. Currently, you have to export each trip manually - I felt the need for an "export all" feature, but did not have the time to implement it (yet).

I can understand your worries about that. There is no way for me to prove that I am not stealing your login data (except for allowing you to take a look at the source code - what might not help you at all). All i can do is to assure that the software does nothing but running on your computer and "talking" only to the bosch website. And, to be honest, I am not very interested in your (or anyone elses) driving performance ;).

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
The only data I am worried about is the personal details that Bosch force us to enter for the routing and performance functions ie home location, current location and geographical driving habits and other identifying details, which could be abused.

I will probably give your software a try when I get around to it as it sounds good. I wonder if Bosch will ever provide this - maybe in 10 years time?

I would be very useful to be able to download everything when you get time to do this.

Then there will we a need for another set of software for processing the downloading data, perhaps there would be other volunteers for this.

Rumik

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2018
Hello everyone!

My name is Christoph and I am a satisfied Bosch pedelec owner (Cannondale Tramout 2) from germany. A few month ago, I got a Nyon to collect statistics of my rides. Unfortunately I quickly found out that Nyon users are compelled to use the bosch online portal wich does not (yet?) allow to export tracks as GPX......

Christoph
Hello Christoph - I realise that this is an old thread and maybe you no longer have an interest in the Bosch Nyon but just in case...

I have tried your Java program but it simply repeatedly asks me for my Bosch log-in details as if in a loop. I am sure that I am inputting the correct password and user name. I'm using the Windows 64 bit version. I know that the Bosch web page has been improved since you created your script but I find that I cannot export all the info I want and so thought I would try your Java program.

Any help or advice would be welcome if you have time.

Thanks, Mike

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Last seen Dec 20th 2016
He only ever posted 2 messages so I doubt he will reply
But you never know your luck
Good thread rival thou