Hello from new ebike owner

crowy

Just Joined
Aug 28, 2021
I was recently given,by a friend, an elife 300 natural ebike (I think thats the model). There is however a problem with it (hence it being given to me for free). The assist/motor only works when you pedal backwards. Now there is a bit of a story as to how it got like this.

My friend had an accident on it and badly damaged the back wheel. He had it fixed by someone and the back wheel almost rebuilt but he did not give the mechanic the battery when he did the job (this was not a professional mechanic but a kowledgable friend) when he got the bike back he put on to his narrowboat and went off travelling and didn't use the bike for a good few months (when fair weather returned) this i s when he discovered the issue but couldn't give it to the friend to repair as he is now in Australia.

Could someone please answer my questions below?

Is it a mechanical issue or electrical issue or both?

Can someone tell me what the possible solutions are?

Sorry for the waffle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Is the pedal Assist sensor the right way around, or is it plugged in correctly? Is it possible that it was disconnected and plugged in 180 degrees out? I expect there is a wiring colour scheme which would confirm the latter issue.

Experts will be along soon though and will no doubt offer good help.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I was recently given,by a friend, an elife 300 natural ebike (I think thats the model). There is however a problem with it (hence it being given to me for free). The assist/motor only works when you pedal backwards. Now there is a bit of a story as to how it got like this.

My friend had an accident on it and badly damaged the back wheel. He had it fixed by someone and the back wheel almost rebuilt but he did not give the mechanic the battery when he did the job (this was not a professional mechanic but a kowledgable friend) when he got the bike back he put on to his narrowboat and went off travelling and didn't use the bike for a good few months (when fair weather returned) this i s when he discovered the issue but couldn't give it to the friend to repair as he is now in Australia.

Could someone please answer my questions below?

Is it a mechanical issue or electrical issue or both?

Can someone tell me what the possible solutions are?

Sorry for the waffle.

Thanks in advance for any help.
He has put the pedal sensor's magnet disk on the wrong way up. Take the pedal arm or chainwheel off (crank extractor tool required), slide the magnet disc off and flip it over

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Flip the disc as had been said or flip the magnets.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Flip the disc as had been said or flip the magnets.
That's a good point. rather than remove everything, you can poke out the magnets one at a time and re-insert them the other way round. The magnets are tight in the plastic, but can fairly easily be poked out with a small screwdriver. Turn the bike upside down and rest it on the handlebars and saddle to get easy access to the disc. Afterwards, use another magnet to check that they're all the same way round. They should all be the same either pushing or pulling the separate magnet. If they push before you start, they need to pull afterwards or vice versa.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

crowy

Just Joined
Aug 28, 2021
Hello Tony951,vfr400 and nealh.

Thanks for your help.
It was the sensor that needed flipping and turned out to be a five minute job with the correct size allen key.

Again thanks for your help, I know where to come for any advice in future.

Reactions: Nealh and Tony1951

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Tony951,vfr400 and nealh.

Thanks for your help.
It was the sensor that needed flipping and turned out to be a five minute job with the correct size allen key.

Again thanks for your help, I know where to come for any advice in future.
Whether one flips the sensor 180 or flips the magnets, it matters not as flip any one of them will work.