Hello from new member, need advice

Dule

Just Joined
Dec 2, 2021
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Hello everyone,

I'm Grega from Slovenia, new to this great forum where I learn a lot every day. I would like to ask you guys for advice, I can't decide between buying a hub motor or mid drive for commuting around town. I would like to buy whole kit, assemble it myself on my Marin trekking bike and keep it as lightweight as possible. What do you guys suggest, should I go for TSDZ2 kit or some other kit with hub motor (please can you suggest any)? The town I live in is more or less flat and I would like to get speeds up to 30-32 kmh while pedalling. Would 250W motor be enough?
Thank you for help and all the free knowledge I get here!

Grega

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The lightest motor for 30/32km/h is the akm 100h or cst 36v 328rpm with approx. 18a.
The other option is akm 128c 48v 260rpm it can handle a lot more current 25-30a), still both would need a battery with good 15/20a cells.
Speed will soon eat in to the capacity so depends on the distances one wants to ride.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Geared hubs will be more reliable then the tsdz2 and will not wear the gear train as quick. Tsdz 48v has a max cadence speed of approx . 90rpm and any larger chain ring then the 42t may cause motor damage, unlike a geared hub one can use a larger chain ring for gearing/speed.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
If its trekking then I suspect you'll have a rack and panniers fitted. These packed add a fair bit of weight and if its a rear hub motor thats a lot of weight too, so you might find it wants to lift the front end going up inclines, which obviously isnt ideal. A mid drive will at least space out the weight better.
Thats all I have to say, im not favouring one or the other, just a note on weight distribution.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have rear hubs and load some 20kg in the panniers, never yet had the front wheel lift off. A 250w - 500w motor won't cause it to do so even with 20a.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
He (Grega) is commuting around town on flat terrain not trekking.

Dule

Just Joined
Dec 2, 2021
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Thank you for replies,
yes I am leaning towards hub motor, because I only need it for commuting and it needs to be reliable. Yesterday I tried my friends BBSO2, it's too fast for me (I don't need 45 km/h, only 30). He also has a lot of problems with chain.
I read about 100h and 128c motors and I like this idea (thinking about 350W).
Can you please recommend any European vendors with reliable kits like the one you mentioned (akm 100h, akm 128c )? I guess I need whole kit, because I don't know how to setup motor with spokes and rim...
Thank you for help!
Grega

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unfortunately the AKM 100/128 motor is China only order, I don't know of any EU vendors. We use Topbikekit or Greenbikekit, in the past BMSbattery was also used but the choice from them is a bit more complicated to choose.

If wanting an ultra light hub then the more expensive but tiny Bafang G370 is quiet and very light in a front wheel with steel forks, it rides as well with no power as well as with power.