Hello from St Annes-on Sea

Seasider

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2018
I am just getting into e-bikes. I have just bought a fat tyre bike for the beach, good fun until it stared making bad noises and terminated. I am returning it under warranty.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
The sand is your enemy
Especially salty sand like the beach .

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
e-bikes cannot resist salty spray for long.
The salt will corrode both steel and aluminium at crazy speed.
If you ride on the beach, you'll need to wash the bike and dry it immediately after to get rid of sand and salt.

Seasider

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2018
e-bikes cannot resist salty spray for long.
The salt will corrode both steel and aluminium at crazy speed.
If you ride on the beach, you'll need to wash the bike and dry it immediately after to get rid of sand and salt.
Thanks for the advice, I thought it might have been have been a bit more hardy. They say that they are good for snow and sand? Back to the drawing board. :cool:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for the advice, I thought it might have been have been a bit more hardy. They say that they are good for snow and sand? Back to the drawing board. :cool:
Dry sand dunes away from the surf.
Saline damp/wet sandy & water will kill electronics quickly as you have found out.

Reactions: Seasider

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
To be fair Fat Bikes were designed solely for snow the fact that there good in sand is a traction / floatation advantage over thinner tyres only
If you play in the mud and snow you would have hardly any trouble but sand in any state is abrasive let alone salty sand which just adds insult to injury.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
South Downs is abrasive in wet conditions.

Reactions: Seasider

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Chalky S/D when wet is worse then sand as it is also mixed with mud etc.

Seasider

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2018
To be fair Fat Bikes were designed solely for snow the fact that there good in sand is a traction / floatation advantage over thinner tyres only
If you play in the mud and snow you would have hardly any trouble but sand in any state is abrasive let alone salty sand which just adds insult to injury.
Finding out the hard way,as usual. :confused: