Hello from the Fens.

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
Hello to you all,

I've been poking around this site for 2 years and it gave me the confidence to take the plunge and go electric. I live on my boat on the Ely Ouse and it's blooming windy. The ride to work was often quite a struggle and getting home after a long shift took ages.

At last, something second-hand and affordable came up on eBay. A Muddy Fox with a 3-year old Alien Ocean conversion. Brilliant !

I've done 150 miles already on about 10 charges. My journey to work is transformed.
Thank you all and see you about,

Richard.

ebike.JPG

Ettica

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2008
Heskin Lancashire
Brilliant Richard.
Welcome to Ebike Land. Happiness guaranteed....... okay, not total inner happiness but not far behind.

Talking of far behinds, no doubt Lynda will be along soon to welcome you to moo moo land :)

(I'm so dead....) :(

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Brilliant Richard.
Welcome to Ebike Land. Happiness guaranteed....... okay, not total inner happiness but not far behind.

Talking of far behinds, no doubt Lynda will be along soon to welcome you to moo moo land

Youre not wrong there Ettica......fortunately for you, you dont realise yet, just how dead :cool: lol

Meanwhile, back in the real world.....haha.......welcome to the forum richard, glad to hear you are enjoying your bike.......you will be relieved to know that there are more helpful normal people on here than not.....but, then again.....what is normal ?.....Dont ask Ettica ;)

Lynda :)

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
Hello to you both and thank you. It's pretty rare to see anyone on a bike here, let alone an electro.

I'm on a killer of a split shift next week and I'll be up to 18 miles/day. I wouldn't have considered such a ride before. I have no mains here, so it's all solar and wind turbine as well.

Let's hope it all hangs together.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Richard, I would be interested to hear more about your solar and wind turbine charging set up.....does this supply your boat with 'mains' with normal plug sockets or do you use the energy produced straight from the solar/turbines via a transformer ?

C

Cyclezee

Talking of far behinds, no doubt Lynda will be along soon to welcome you to moo moo land :)
I think you better explain about the KLF Ettica, it will probably be a complete mystery to Lynda.....it's not listed on her tag line:rolleyes:

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
It's pretty rare to see anyone on a bike here, let alone an electro.
Hi Richard,

Well you could have seen me last Saturday as I cycled from Cambridge to Ely on my 20” E-Dahon. I made the mistake of following NCR-11 out of Cambridge, as it also passes through Ely, but hadn’t realised there’s a gap in the route at Waterbeach. This required a little trespassing and negotiating a couple of stiles - apparently I should have left Cambridge on route 51.

I was rather impressed by the number of leisure cyclists about, but given that the route is near Cambridge, flat, and nearly all off-road perhaps not surprising. Approaching Wicken Fen. I was passed by another 20” e-bike but didn’t have chance to catch him as I stopped for tea at the café.

The cycle hire facility at Wicken Fen must help the numbers as well, but perhaps they stick to the east side of the river and don’t make it up to Ely.

[FONT=&amp]Fair winds for your commute[/FONT]

A few photos

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I think you better explain about the KLF Ettica, it will probably be a complete mystery to Lynda.....it's not listed on her tag line:rolleyes:
It wasnt......but unfortunately it is now.......the musical tastes on this forum never cease to amaze me :rolleyes:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hi Richard,

Well you could have seen me last Saturday as I cycled from Cambridge to Ely on my 20” E-Dahon. I made the mistake of following NCR-11 out of Cambridge, as it also passes through Ely, but hadn’t realised there’s a gap in the route at Waterbeach. This required a little trespassing and negotiating a couple of stiles - apparently I should have left Cambridge on route 51.

I was rather impressed by the number of leisure cyclists about, but given that the route is near Cambridge, flat, and nearly all off-road perhaps not surprising. Approaching Wicken Fen. I was passed by another 20” e-bike but didn’t have chance to catch him as I stopped for tea at the café.

The cycle hire facility at Wicken Fen must help the numbers as well, but perhaps they stick to the east side of the river and don’t make it up to Ely.

[FONT=&]Fair winds for your commute[/FONT]

A few photos
Fantastic photos, it looks really lovely, seems like I have missed a lovely corner of the UK.

But what is with the road sign in Spanish ??
Ive never seen that before here....are there lots of Spanish in the area or what :confused:

Made me feel just a teensy bit homesick......but not for long :)

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Fantastic photos, it looks really lovely, seems like I have missed a lovely corner of the UK.

But what is with the road sign in Spanish ??
Ive never seen that before here....are there lots of Spanish in the area or what :confused:

Made me feel just a teensy bit homesick......but not for long :)

Thanks, yes it was quite a pleasant ride. It’s very ‘Dutch’ north of Cambridge, plenty of water, big skies - no hills but the power is handy for the winds.

The Spanish sign was just after I’d passed a large industrial looking complex, complete with numerous accommodation blocks, that I’d guessed was some sort of [FONT=&amp]agricultural processing plant[/FONT]. I’ve just looked them up and it belongs to this company, who have several farms in Spain. This junction would be the first the Spanish lorry drivers encounter after leaving their site.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Did somebody mention my all-time favourite band. :cool:

[video=youtube;9FGUJatcwsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGUJatcwsw[/video]
OMG Bob....NO.....please NO.......thats the third link to that I have been sent today......my god, I never dreamt that such god awful musi....sorry.....noise ....existed until today and its all Ettica's fault....he has a lot to answer for :mad:

Ettica....where are you......??????
Come and face the music......I feel like tying you up and forcing you to watch that video for at least 24 hours........lolol

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks, yes it was quite a pleasant ride. It’s very ‘Dutch’ north of Cambridge, plenty of water, big skies - no hills but the power is handy for the winds.

The Spanish sign was just after I’d passed a large industrial looking complex, complete with numerous accommodation blocks, that I’d guessed was some sort of [FONT=&]agricultural processing plant[/FONT]. I’ve just looked them up and it belongs to this company, who have several farms in Spain. This junction would be the first the Spanish lorry drivers encounter after leaving their site.
Ah, thanks, that explains it......though heaven help us if we meet them on their way in to the site if they still need reminding which side to drive on after they get there !!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011