Hello from Wessex

itchyfeet1000

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2020
Wessex
Hi everyone,
New member in the Southwest of England, I am a 50 something keen cyclist and motorcyclist, I now make around 80% journeys by bicycle and would like to increase that percentage with an electrically assisted bicycle. I am a toolmaker by trade and always work on my own bikes which tend to be British brands with hub gears and either disc or drum brakes, there are quite a lot of Sturmey Archer components in my parts bin but I also like Hope components and have a Rohloff geared bike that is my favourite.
Apart from routine trips I like to explore off road along bridleways and byways and I have just done a third trip along the South Downs Way.
As I already own several nice bikes I am considering a bottom bracket conversion to one of these rather than buying a purpose built so have signed up to seek advice about what conversion to buy and where to buy it, I have already done some research and have some idea but technology is moving quite quickly so hope to get the latest information here.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Hi everyone,
New member in the Southwest of England, I am a 50 something keen cyclist and motorcyclist, I now make around 80% journeys by bicycle and would like to increase that percentage with an electrically assisted bicycle. I am a toolmaker by trade and always work on my own bikes which tend to be British brands with hub gears and either disc or drum brakes, there are quite a lot of Sturmey Archer components in my parts bin but I also like Hope components and have a Rohloff geared bike that is my favourite.
Apart from routine trips I like to explore off road along bridleways and byways and I have just done a third trip along the South Downs Way.
As I already own several nice bikes I am considering a bottom bracket conversion to one of these rather than buying a purpose built so have signed up to seek advice about what conversion to buy and where to buy it, I have already done some research and have some idea but technology is moving quite quickly so hope to get the latest information here.
Welcome to the forum.

Being a toolmaker you will have access to a great array of useful machinery in Pedelec fabrication.
Wish I still had access to a Bridgeport milling machine, now have to hand drill n file everything!

itchyfeet1000

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2020
Wessex
Welcome to the forum.

Being a toolmaker you will have access to a great array of useful machinery in Pedelec fabrication.
Wish I still had access to a Bridgeport milling machine, now have to hand drill n file everything!
I am semi-retired now but do have a Myford lathe and Tom Senior milling machine in my workshop which have been used to turn out the occasional bicycle component.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
you should breeze through a conversion