Hello, looking to get a conversion kit on my road bike..

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
Hi everyone, I have been lurking on the forum for a while and it inspired me to try a leccy bike. unfortunately I loved it ! :(
I know a common route is to get a used mtb or similar but I have an old road bike that fits me really well. A trek 1000

This is obviously not ideal but most of my rides are road. I'm seriously looking at rear drive from oxy (£550) or from cyclotricity (about the same) with 13 aph battery. There is also a very similar setup by the look of it from EBC electric bike conversions for £400 but not read much about them??
I live in a very hilly bit of mid wales but I don't need the bike to take me up hills just to make it less of a chore. The bike I tried was a mtb with pedal assist and it felt pretty good. I know front wheel conversion would be simpler but I don't fancy it.. Was thinking of not using the brake cut offs.
Most of my rides are off the highway on private roads, so would like the pedal assist to work up to my normal cruise speed of about 20mph, is that possible..?
Alex

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

If you have 8 or more gears on the back, a cassette motor, like the Oxydrive is better. I'm not sure which of the others are cassette motors. I think Oxydrive is the only one out of those that you suggested, but you should check.

The speed can normally be set on the LCD with most kits. I know the Oxydrive can and I'm pretty sure that the Cyclotricity can, and I'd be surprised if the EBC one couldn't.

You'll have trouble finding a place for a throttle. Best solution I know is one of those handlebar extensions for lights.

You won't be able to use the supplied brake levers, but if you can know anything about wiring, it's easy to adapt something.

• Informative

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
If you have 8 or more gears on the back, a cassette motor, like the Oxydrive is better. I'm not sure which of the others are cassette motors. I think Oxydrive is the only one out of those that you suggested, but you should check.

The speed can normally be set on the LCD with most kits. I know the Oxydrive can and I'm pretty sure that the Cyclotricity can, and I'd be surprised if the EBC one couldn't.

You'll have trouble finding a place for a throttle. Best solution I know is one of those handlebar extensions for lights.

You won't be able to use the supplied brake levers, but if you can know anything about wiring, it's easy to adapt something.
Thanks , I was thinking I could leave off the throttle? Don't suppose I'd use it.
If the EBC one is the same its quite a bit cheaper. I see you're in Telford? I live in Leominster 1/2 the time and there is a place in bishops castle that might fit the cyclotricity one tho...I'm prepared to change cassette/lose gears and also to not use the supplied brakes
Ta
Alex

Stephen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 5, 2013
The EBC kit speed can be set at the LCD. I've fitted the rear wheel 350W kit with the SWX02 to my 26" Marin Muirwoods without too many problems. The wheel came with 7 gears instead of the standard 8. My drop-out distance on the bike was 135mm and I had to put spacers inside the drop-out to take up space, so it will fit a narrow drop-out. I've also fitted a revo shifter on the right so that I can get the throttle on without problems. I've only tried it a few yards up the road as the wiring needs tidying up, but for a first ride on an ebike it was amazing! Everything worked first time and I can recommend the kit.
I'll report back in a week or so with my findings.

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
Brilliant, I wonder whether I should go for the more powerful 350 or 500w as I do have a lot of hills and don't want to burn it out (if that's even possible)
Alex

Stephen

Nov 5, 2013
From what I gather the 350W is the smaller geared unit (it looks neat on my bike - I'll post some pics soon) and the 500w is larger/heavier direct drive. On a light bike like yours I'd be inclined to go for a smaller compact drive.
I'm getting a no load speed (wheel in the air) of 43 mph from mine! I think there is something wrong there but I'm sure I set the LCD up ok.

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
Don't get the 500w one. That won't be right on a road bike. It's too heavy and doesn't free-wheel freely.
Thanks I thought that was the case but am now a bit confused because the other reply mentioned 350w but can only see that they ,ebc, do 250 and 500. What does the little 250 motor do to stop burning when you pedal up a hill, just slip?
Alex

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Thanks I thought that was the case but am now a bit confused because the other reply mentioned 350w but can only see that they ,ebc, do 250 and 500. What does the little 250 motor do to stop burning when you pedal up a hill, just slip?
Alex
Direct drive is used in the bigger motor so going slowly up hill is inefficient and the motor struggles.
The smaller geared motors have ,gears! That means the motor can rotate quickly staying efficient and driving, abet slowly up hill.

Godric

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2016
Bristol
I would also like to do this to my road bike, is there a very basic kit with power grip that turns the motor on and off? With no handbrake cuts off or pedal assistant sensors.

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
D

Deleted member 4366

One slight problem. That looks like a freewheel motor, so the top gear will be 14T and the cluster will probably be 7 speed. If you have a crappy road bike, that's not a problem providing that your big chainwheel is at least 50T - ideally 53. If you have a moderb bike with 9 or 10 speed, you'd be better off with a cassette motor.

This motor seems to be a cassette one, but I don't see it in their listings, nor do I know anything about it:

http://www.electricbikeconversions.co.uk/product/fitting-service/

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
Thanks I will look at that. To be honest I was expecting to change cogs and gears when I go electric, shouldn't need the crawler gear :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks I will look at that. To be honest I was expecting to change cogs and gears when I go electric, shouldn't need the crawler gear :)
That's the point of what I was saying. You'll have all crawler gears if you're not careful. Freewheel gearsets are nearly always lower than cassette (free-hub) gears. You can get a DNP freewheel with 11T top gear for about £30+, but any more than 7 speed will probably be too wide.

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
That's the point of what I was saying. You'll have all crawler gears if you're not careful. Freewheel gearsets are nearly always lower than cassette (free-hub) gears. You can get a DNP freewheel with 11T top gear for about £30+, but any more than 7 speed will probably be too wide.
I think I'm with you... I have two cogs on the front at present. I will expect to change bits, my current chain, sprocket as and front cogs are all past it. I've done over 4000 miles on it so expecting a bit of a rebuild: 0

Stephen

Nov 5, 2013
I rode mine for a couple of miles today. I found the lowest gear combination and me pedaling flat out topped out at about the same speed as the no load
speed of the motor so I guess thats ideal? I'll check the gear ratios after Christmas. I've got a beer waiting.....
Mind you, the lcd reads 43Mph but the actual speed felt like about 20mph. Any ideas why this shoul be? I've got the correct wheel size entered and it's in mph not kph.
Happy Christmas all.
Steve

D

Deleted member 4366

Are you using a wheel-speed sensor with a spoke magnet as well as the motor's internal sensor? That will show double speed.