Hello Pedelecs

Ben Jones

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 19, 2018
I'm looking for an ebike and with so many now on the market I don't know where to start. I'm looking for a step through or dutch style bike, so I'm hoping these forums can quide me.

regards
Ben

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Ben, welcome to the forum. Can you guide us with some information, proposed budget, type of trips and if possible your height and weight?

These will help us to make sensible suggestions.

Ben Jones

Sep 19, 2018
under £1000, mainly town riding home to shops. I'm 190cm (6 foot 3 inches) and 100kg.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome

As flecc has your back I will let him continue with his advice

Enjoy whatever you choose

Reactions: Ben Jones

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
under £1000, mainly town riding home to shops. I'm 190cm (6 foot 3 inches) and 100kg.
Hi Ben,
check out the woosh Santana3.
It has step through frame, comfortable SR Suntour Nex fork, excellent Bafang SWX02 motor, 15AH battery, Avid disc brakes at the front, V-brakes at the rear, kevlar tyres. Range is about 50 miles. Very suitable for hilly areas.
I can fit a 45cm seat post for your 6ft3 frame.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3

Ben Jones

Sep 19, 2018
Hi Ben,
check out the woosh Santana3.
It has step through frame, comfortable SR Suntour Nex fork, excellent Bafang SWX02 motor, 15AH battery, Avid disc brakes at the front, V-brakes at the rear, kevlar tyres. Range is about 50 miles. Very suitable for hilly areas.
I can fit a 45cm seat post for your 6ft3 frame.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3
I'm a bit confused by the throttle capability on ebikes. From what i read throttles have been banned under new laws unless you continue pedalling. But your description for the Santana3 says it has a throttle and that you do not need to pedal. Can you please clarify?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
'm a bit confused by the throttle capability on ebikes. From what i read throttles have been banned under new laws unless you continue pedalling. But your description for the Santana3 says it has a throttle and that you do not need to pedal. Can you please clarify?
the new law since 1/1/2016 applies only to suppliers. Users of the throttle are not prosecuted, regardless of when you start having the the throttle on your bike.
This said, only the twist and go throttle is made illegal.
you have to pedal a bit before you can use the throttle to comply, it's not twist and go.
You can unplug and remove the throttle if you don't want it.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would also have been recommending you look at Woosh for your details, but they beat me too it!

The law on recent bike's throttles is widely ignored, but with the Santana you have the option.

In fact the DfT preferred to have throttles continued with the UK's 2015 change in the law, but they were bound by harmonising with the EU where throttles had long been banned.

Ironically the very next year we voted to leave the EU and its laws, but we are stuck with this meanwhile.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm looking for a dutch style, as I mentioned. There seem to be many on the market and I've been looking at a couple in the £600 to £700 price range (which is more my budget) from e-BikesDirect and RCToyWorld.

The first is from e-BikesDirect, their Sahara model.

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/cyclotricity/cyclotricity-sahara-electric-bike

What do people think?
That's much less powerful than the Santana and the battery is less than half the capacity, so much shorter range. With the optional 17 Ah battery which is just over the Santana's it costs £949, almost the same price but with that less powerful motor.

However, if its standard little 7 Ah battery is enough and you have no steep hills it could be ok.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Where I live is pretty flat and most of my journeys will be in town, no real hills. I don't plan to cycle out of town.

The other bike I've looked at is this Zipper bike. A couple of online shops sell them. What are they like?

https://www.rctoyworld.co.uk/zipper-z5-city-deluxe-electric-ebike-cycle-bike-24---midnight-blue-126718-p.asp
I'd definitely avoid that one. The trouble when something like e-biking gets popular is that all sorts of companies jump on the bandwagon for a while and then often drop them. That bike has a frame integrated battery and you could be stuck at replacement time if no longer available. Recelling the battery then is a possibility, but much better to choose something with spares availability or using common parts that are easily obtained.