Hello

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Hello

I've recently ordered myself a Kalkhoff Pro Connect 9G.

I used to ride a normal bike to work a few years back by taking it on the roof of the car in the morning, riding home, then reversing the procedure the following day. I had a few health problems last year and now work somewhere it's less easy to leave the car overnight so I thought an electric bike may mean I can cycle both ways (it's around a 30 mile round trip).

It's not arrived yet but its on the way!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

Who's going to be first?

I wish you many happy miles on your new bike. Welcome to the forum.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome,
D8veh is referring to the motor in the new kalkhoffs, search for impulse drive issues.
The old ones were highly recommended, the new ones get a warning ⚠

But they can be OK.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello ttxela :)

Gaz

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Ah, and I thought I had researched things quite well.....

Well, I'll see how it goes when it arrives. I have some brand loyalty to Kalkhoff since my current non-electric road bike is a Kalkhoff racer. I got it second-hand in 1984. Its still going strong!

Reactions: EddiePJ

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
With the impending arrival today and the weather forecast not looking great I'm wondering what conditions people ride in? I'm thinking from the viewpoint of the electrics - how good can I expect the weatherproofing to be, is riding in the rain OK?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With the impending arrival today and the weather forecast not looking great I'm wondering what conditions people ride in? I'm thinking from the viewpoint of the electrics - how good can I expect the weatherproofing to be, is riding in the rain OK?
Although sometimes well thought and designed ebikes aren't immiune to the wet, your commute in the rain is quite long so think about protecting some parts to help prevent water intrusion and don't leave the bike out in the rain.
If left secured outside think about a bike cover to keep rain off and remove the battery indoors, you could ride with a cape but not sure how practical that will be. Although the battery is encased and somewhat protected think about an extra protection layer like a shower cap etc whilst riding as the battery won't be immune from road spray/puddles. Likewise any lcd display is worth covering to help prevent moisture /fogging, Cling film is a good option for this.
Moisture/rain can cause electrical communication faults so trying to help prevent this with a few simple precautions may help to reduce any issues.
Not teaching you how to suck eggs think about your safety as well, wear bright water proof clothing and ride with lights on, on the rear use an extra light the simple cheap ebay usb charge ones. They are quite good esp in blink/strobe mode and are fairly bright and think about a rear facing action cam.

This rear light I find is very good and with a very good strobe up to 12hrs use on a single charge acts as a good second light to have working.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391419792165?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
Reactions: ttxela and Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I've been riding in all weathers and a decent set of mudguards was a must for me as I commute to work. Unfortunately (for me), I went for the OEM mudguards for my bike and the front one falls short and doesn't stop spray getting to my battery, motor, footwear and the bottom of my trousers, so I guess I'll be changing it shortly. Useful lesson that (despite what I'd thought) OEM mudguards might not cut the mustard.

Gaz

Reactions: ttxela