Hello

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I'm rather excited - I just ordered a Woosh hub motor kit and it should be here tomorrow!

I'm Mike and I have been a leisure cyclist for many years, but not so much recently as I'm waiting for a knee replacement operation and have a weak chest.... So the options were a wheelchair or an electric bike.

I have a 25-year old Saracen Andes (from when Saracen was a British factory - not just a marketing name) which is very light, still in great condition and which accidentally got a brand new set of tyres last week (they wouldn't fit the bike they were intended for). I had been tempted to buy a new e-bike, but realised that I would be spending lots just to get disc brakes and a heavier frame, so it had to be an add-on kit.

I chose Woosh because of all their on-line documentation - even without the parts to hand, I have been able to identify potential problems with fitting and have started to sort these out - particularly the pedal sensor as there is no room on either side of the bottom bracket for the standard parts. I have already laser cut an acrylic disc to mount the magnet ring inside the chain wheel - no way could I have sorted this problem in advance with any of the other makes of kit on offer.

I will be documenting the build as it goes along and will post it on the Forum if anyone is interested.

The only snag to all this is that our cycling friends are all of an age and considering going electric - if my build is a success, they they are all going to want me to help them!

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pics as you go along sounds good.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kit builds are easy to diagnose if a fault occurs, no dealer or lengthy delays having no bike. As parts ( if under warranty) are easy to get hold of. With the likes of Woosh and Wisper just to mention two, both carry spares and are often with you in 48hrs. Also in the future electrics upgrading is also easy and all can be done quite cheaply.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
As promised, I have written up my build and posted it in the Conversion Kits section.