Help choosing my first Ebike

Chipster79

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2019
I'm looking to get back in to cycling after 10 years of driving. I want to get rid of my car as I only use it for work and shopping. I use the train and buses a lot to travel but want to start biking to keep myself fit and venture out further than I normally would. I'm looking to use it mainly on the road with a few grassy hills.
I've spent two days looking at bikes and I've narrowed it down to three.

Haibike SDURO HardSeven 1.0
Carrera Crossfuse
Raleigh Strada Elite

I don't know anything about bikes but I'm learning. I prefer the look of the Haibike and I prefer the Yamaha battery but only because I love Yamaha. I also love Bosch. I'm not sure which is better. Strada has a Shimano battery. Price isn't important but they are almost equal.
If anybody has had any experience with these bikes or can offer advice any help is appreciated. Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
all the bikes above use a torque sensor to work out how much assistance to give.
Have you tried a bike with a cadence sensor?
They are very different in approach. Bikes with cadence sensor let you pedal as much as you like, much easier to ride uphill.

Reactions: Chipster79

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Chipster if you have good stamina/ leg power then go for the torque sensor bike, if you lack leg strength or tire after a while or during a longer ride then consider buying a cadence pedal sensor system.
Try both systems before you buy.

Torque sensor is a power multiplier, generally they will provide up to 3x the input you provide, cadence is different and will quite happily provide up to 100% with little effort or ghost pedalling if tired.

Chipster79

Jul 23, 2019
Thanks both. I will look into that. I think I have good leg power as I'm on my feet all day and used to walking miles.

Chipster79

Jul 23, 2019
I rode a Stella Arturo Steps bike on holiday for around 8 hours a day and was not tired once. I went up some very steep hills. No idea wether that was torque or cadence. How does that compare to what I'm looking at? I can't find much information about it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
haibike but if you can afford it a fs would be better esp if you want to go off road in the future ;)

Chipster79

Jul 23, 2019
Thanks, I can afford it but can't justify spending that much on a bike for my needs. Not for my first bike anyway. I don't plan on going off road, at least not in the near future. I'll only be making short journeys but hope to venture further out if I get brave enough. I'd rather spend a bit less and put the rest on other gear like helmet, gloves, lights, etc. I am pushed towards the Haibike for it's looks but I really can't decide.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Shimano likely will have been a Steps 6000 or 8000 mid motor, both torque sensing.

The Carrera Crossfuse can be had for better price join UK cycling for about £25 and get another 10% off at Halfruads or wait until it is on offer and get 10% off on top.
Lots of choices out there.

Chipster79

Jul 23, 2019
Yes I was just looking at the British cycling club. Thank you. £20 for the silver membership. Good saving.

Chipster79

Jul 23, 2019
Well after hours of looking and arguing with myself I've ordered the Haibike HardSeven 1.0. I'm not sure on the size. I've gone for medium (45cm). I'm 5'5 with a 32inch inside leg. Is the medium too big or should I have opted for the small?