Help choosing please

Tapirus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 26, 2017
Blackpool
i am looking for a bike but am overweight 19.5 stone. Can anyone assist with a good all round model just for roads up to £1000? Have been looking at plugged in bikes but cant find any independent reviews or somewhere i could try before i buy. I prefer the dutch style, step over types and am in north west uk.

Any pointers would be most welcome, thank you

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If the budget will stretch to £1,195, the Kudos Sonata is worth a look.

Slightly better spec, against a smaller battery.

It has a rear motor which may count against it.

Putting the motor in the front evens the stress on the wheels in terms of weight and spokes.

The spec of the Plug In bikes is not clear, but they don't appear to me to have the well thought of BPM motor of the other two.

https://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=347

https://www.pluginbikes.co.uk/vintage-cruiser-electric-bike-83.html

Tapirus

Jun 26, 2017
Blackpool
i am looking for a bike but am overweight 19.5 stone. Can anyone assist with a good all round model just for roads up to £1000? Have been looking at plugged in bikes but cant find any independent reviews or somewhere i could try before i buy. I prefer the dutch style, step over types and am in north west uk.

Tapirus

Jun 26, 2017
Blackpool
Thank you for the replies ...I did look at big bear but the spec says up to 18.5 stone so discounted it

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thank you for the replies ...I did look at big bear but the spec says up to 18.5 stone so discounted it
I suspect woosh is being a bit over cautious there.

What you maybe shouldn't do on a Big Bear at your weight is slap another 30kgs of touring luggage on it.

D

Deleted member 4366

I doubt that you'll find any bike that says more weight than that.

Tapirus

Jun 26, 2017
Blackpool

Woosh Big Bear LS. Nothing else comes close.
I did look at tjose but the spec says up ro 18.5 stone so i dosmissed

Tapirus

Jun 26, 2017
Blackpool
This is problem i am having as a beginner. Most have weight limits and people say its ok to go over and i understand they are cautious and the bikes can carry a lot more than stated. I suppse its knowing which brands/bikes i can go for even if it shows a weight limit

Am i better off with a well known brand where i might be over the weight limit (i would not be carrying any luggage) or go for something which i am defintely ok on - the plug in bike has weight limit of 27 stone!

D

Deleted member 4366

Look at the Woosh Big Bear LS, then look at that Plugin bike. tell me what's different that will make the Plugin stronger. Even the frame is the same!

Tapirus

Jun 26, 2017
Blackpool
Look at the Woosh Big Bear LS, then look at that Plugin bike. tell me what's different that will make the Plugin stronger. Even the frame is the same!
I have no idea... thats the problem :( i just have a vision of me sitting on it and it falling apart like a clown bike would !! Am warming to big bear though isnt a jolly pastel colour and doesnt have a wicker basket but i suppose i can manage without those

Summerlightning

Pedelecer
May 4, 2015
Basingstoke
I'm a big bloke too and I cannot fault my Big Bear.
Done over 1000 miles now and I love it.
It has given me a new lease of life. I can cycle with confidence, keep up with my younger fitter friends and just go out for the sheer fun of it.
I have done 30 hilly miles on a charge and got home with power to spare.
If mine broke I would be ordering a new one tomorrow.
I have the crossbar model which doesn't look quite so Miss Marple although I have put dutch style handle bars on for that sit up and beg, vicar on the way to church look. :)

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have no idea... thats the problem :( i just have a vision of me sitting on it and it falling apart like a clown bike would !! Am warming to big bear though isnt a jolly pastel colour and doesnt have a wicker basket but i suppose i can manage without those
Not much you can realistically do about the colour, but fitting a basket is simple enough.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz