Help! Ebike Delivery Problems

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Pedelecers all!

I need some assistance.

We have recently had a huge hike in prices to deliver electric bikes in the UK, over double last month's cost per bike. It seems that all across the industry overnight couriers have started to volumise cartons, so instead of paying to send a NET 25kg we are now paying a net 88kg.

Is anyone else in the industry experiencing similar problems?

Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks,

All the best, David

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
I've always understood that 'volumisation' is standard among the courier industry.
I think that this must be particularly pertinent to the bike industry though a product that weighs about a quarter of its 'volumised' weight.
Out of interest what did it cost you & what does it cost you now to send out an adult sized e-bike?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
consider yourself lucky.
I pay more than that to Tuffnells.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Wisper

Which courier is that?

Check the small print of your courier's Ts & Cs particularly If you insure your parcels at present. One of the 'scams' of the courier industry is when THEY lose your parcel they only give you £10 per kg UNLESS you have separately paid them to insure against their own incompetence.

Now sometimes, if you don't insure the parcel, the £10 per kg is calculated on the 'volumised' weight. Meaning that it might be cheaper to pay the volumised weight (with £880 insurance automatically included) rather then actual weight + a separate insurance charge. It really does need a review of the small print, the cost of your bikes and the various charges to be sure of the position with your particular courier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
consider yourself lucky.
I pay more than that to Tuffnells.
On a positive note though. When you sent the Woosh Karoo demo/review bike to me, it arrived in a box that didn't have a scuff mark anywhere, and it also arrived exactly when it should of, and collection was the same. Sometimes peace of mind is worth paying a little extra for. :)

The thread also goes to show what amazing value that the Rutland Cycling 48hr demo offer is, with collection and delivery for £49.99 which of course is deductible from any bike purchase. https://www.rutlandcycling.com/pages/e-bike-buying-guide/buying-and-demo-e-bikes.aspx

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought Nissan provided the flatbed for free when you ran out of charge. :)

wheeler
They do, but this was a new purchase being carried from the dealer to me. Electric car sales worldwide have taken off very suddenly in the last year and it's been very difficult to get a decent new one with very long waiting lists. Hence me getting mine from the north but still with an over four month wait. Nissan are no longer giving UK delivery indications for the new Leaf, though I saw that their German dealers are saying one year.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Wander we currently use DX.
about 'volumising', Tuffnells call that 'cubed' - some depot managers randomly stick an £11.36 surcharge on the box, despite it's the same size as the ones they had before. At the bottom of the invoice, there is a 7.6% fuel surcharge before charging VAT on the lot. So I pay £33 * 1.076 = £35.50 + VAT if I am lucky, £47.73 + VAT if I am not.
Also, regarding insurance, the parcel is insured if delivered to a work address, not if delivered to a residential address. Take it or leave it. That's their message.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Also, regarding insurance, the parcel is insured if delivered to a work address, not if delivered to a residential address. Take it or leave it. That's their message.
And even then it might only be insured for £5 per kg, less a £25 excess!
https://www.tuffnells.co.uk/sites/default/files/2017-12/Tuffnells-Conditions-of-Carriage-National-May-2018.pdf
so for one of your £1,200+ bikes you might only get £100 back, coupled, no doubt, with a lot of hassle in even getting that.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
And DX is even worse:-

17.50 “Standard Compensation Limit” means:
a) for DX Courier Services:
i thirty pounds Sterling (£30.00) per affected Package sent by a tracked service not requiring a signature;
ii fifty pounds Sterling (£50.00) per affected Package sent by a tracked service requiring a signature; and
iii the price paid for delivery of the Package per affected Package sent by an “untracked ” service;

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Currently, they have "Lost" 7 bikes! Strange how they never lose small parts???
There are cases of post offices which lose parcels in France, the last time they caught a guy there were tens of thousands of Euros worth of goods in his house. All of the enveloppes with the 20 € note that granny sent for chrismas were missing though :D