Help from the East.....

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I start my 3 months+ motorhome meandering adventure in April and after doing Redbridge I am heading northwards but exploring the far east on the way up.
Ive never actually done the east coast of Norfolk, Lincolnshire etc Can anyone point me in the direction of any interesting traffic free cycle routes and also any out of the way nice/unusual places to visit ?
I have already found that,amazingly, I can camp for free, including EHU, at Old Hall hotel Caister and not only that, they give me a free leisure centre pass for pool, jacuzzi, sauna etc etc.......all I have to do is have a meal or drink there.....hmmmm.....think I can manage that lol
So hopefully will get in some interesting cycling around there and then up into Lincolnshire then East riding before getting to South Shields in time for my sister in laws 60th at the end of the month.
Then I will have the sheer bliss of all those MILES and MILES of NE traffic free cycling to explore again......

After that I will be high tailing it for Eastern France, Luxembourg and the Black Forest area of Germany......and the Mercedees factory :)

I cannot wait to get all this cycling in and am spending my enforced flu rest planning my itinerary.......so, first things first......eastern england exploring ? Any help gratefully received .......

Ooooh.......Im feeling better already........:cool:

Lynda :)

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Make an extra day or 2 for up here, Elsie and me are arranging a day. Also was going to try sorting a ride with Willin and Rob.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I spent several days last summer exploring coastal Norfolk by bike. As well as the usual OS maps I found the ‘Norfolk Coast Cycleway’ map guide well worth the £2.50 asking price. As well as suggested routes, both linear along the whole coast and circular, it shows points of interest and is very easy to follow. It does help if you like country Churches though. You can download samples here, but unfortunately not the whole map.

The main attraction of the area for me was the miles of virtually traffic free minor roads.

I’m sure forum members who live in the area will have suggestions for places to visit.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I spent several days last summer exploring coastal Norfolk by bike. As well as the usual OS maps I found the ‘Norfolk Coast Cycleway’ map guide well worth the £2.50 asking price. As well as suggested routes, both linear along the whole coast and circular, it shows points of interest and is very easy to follow. It does help if you like country Churches though. You can download samples here, but unfortunately not the whole map.

The main attraction of the area for me was the miles of virtually traffic free minor roads.

I’m sure forum members who live in the area will have suggestions for places to visit.
I can recommend the map, it is great. Happy to sell you a map also for £1.50 or free if you want to pop in to our shop. If you like off road cycling there is a great route from Aylsham to Norwich
Norwich to Aylsham to Marriotts Way Off Road Trail | Cycle Routes UK

Also we have links to more Norfolk cycle routes on our bike hire page
Folding bike folding bikes electric bikes folding bikes

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Make an extra day or 2 for up here, Elsie and me are arranging a day. Also was going to try sorting a ride with Willin and Rob.
Will be in NE for at least 2 weeks so plenty time to kick yr a** as you challenged me last year David.......soon be time to put your money where your mouth is ........looking forward to it especially after a few weeks training in Norfolk....yes I know its flat, but then, I DO have a Tonaro for the hills of the north east.....not a wasp....... lol

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011

Im really surprised at the choice of traffic free routes and will certainly get that map and some others, thanks for the heads up, I am really looking forward to this interesting start to my trip.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I can recommend the map, it is great. Happy to sell you a map also for £1.50 or free if you want to pop in to our shop. If you like off road cycling there is a great route from Aylsham to Norwich
Norwich to Aylsham to Marriotts Way Off Road Trail | Cycle Routes UK

Also we have links to more Norfolk cycle routes on our bike hire page
Folding bike folding bikes electric bikes folding bikes
Could well be in touch with you nearer the time as I am being joined by a friend for a few days of my stay and she could be interested in hiring a bike for a day.

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Will be in NE for at least 2 weeks so plenty time to kick yr a** as you challenged me last year David.......soon be time to put your money where your mouth is ........looking forward to it especially after a few weeks training in Norfolk....yes I know its flat, but then, I DO have a Tonaro for the hills of the north east.....not a wasp....... lol

I'll be up for a ride out as well with Muckymits et al if it can be arranged.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I'll be up for a ride out as well with Muckymits et al if it can be arranged.
Great Willin.....OK ....this year it IS going to happen, we will firm up dates nearer the time but sometime around the last week of april and we can decide which of the many trails we explore......spoilt for choice in the North East, in fact I will have a look for some quiet farm type campsite actually on or very near one of the traffic free routes.......but I fancy around Consett area ....ish......:cool:

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Could well be in touch with you nearer the time as I am being joined by a friend for a few days of my stay and she could be interested in hiring a bike for a day.

No problem. We are ordering some maps for our electric bike hire. If you hire a bike you get a free Norfolk Coast Cycleway map.

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Great Willin.....OK ....this year it IS going to happen, we will firm up dates nearer the time but sometime around the last week of april and we can decide which of the many trails we explore......spoilt for choice in the North East, in fact I will have a look for some quiet farm type campsite actually on or very near one of the traffic free routes.......but I fancy around Consett area ....ish......:cool:

There are a few campsites that fit that description in the Consett Area/Derwent Valley - including one that actually straddles the C2C near Ebchester, you have to cross the C2C to get to the showers/toilet block. And there's a good pub with food a mile or so along the C2C - the Derwent Walk in on Ebchester Bank

Byreside Caravan Site

The Derwent Walk Inn - Pub/Inn in Ebchester, Ebchester - Durham

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
There are a few campsites that fit that description in the Consett Area/Derwent Valley - including one that actually straddles the C2C near Ebchester, you have to cross the C2C to get to the showers/toilet block. And there's a good pub with food a mile or so along the C2C - the Derwent Walk in on Ebchester Bank

Byreside Caravan Site

Yes great area, used to live very close to there. The cycling is the best, if you come south in to Consett you get to the crossroads. Then have the choice of west towards Stanhope or south to Durham then east to Sunderland, heading north takes you to Metro Centre and Gateshead. But willin knows it far better than me.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011

Byreside Caravan Site

PERFECT........we could finish off with a BBQ back at the van maybe.....or just all collapse into the pub, this is sounding like a great idea. Nearer the time we will have to take names of anyone interested and preferred days, my brother Den will be up for a meet for sure too....... Im presuming weekends would be best for most people, but Im easy......

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Does any one know the highest voltage I can stick through a Currie without it smoking? :mad:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Don't think it's the volts that's the main issue.... It's the currents and sultanas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Oh yes.... Providing you move the venue to up here (the land of pubs aplenty) secure parking for camper vans in the yard, (tents may have a problem trying to get the pegs into the tarmac).. and free charging points... Bread and rolls are in the cupboard, bacon milk and butter in the fridge.. Cook your own breakfast, Mrs Old_Dave and I willI have a hangover :D

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Oh yes.... Providing you move the venue to up here (the land of pubs aplenty) secure parking for camper vans in the yard, (tents may have a problem trying to get the pegs into the tarmac).. and free charging points... Bread and rolls are in the cupboard, bacon milk and butter in the fridge.. Cook your own breakfast, Mrs Old_Dave and I willI have a hangover :D

As someone didn't say, include me 'in' the County Durham ride.

We also have a couple of newer members from the patch who may like to stick their hands up.

One might have a shiny new Storck Raddar to show off.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Great Rob....any preference for weekend or weekday ?
If it has to be a weekend then I think for me it would have to be the second last weekend of April......

Perhaps we can start trying to firm up the plans.....what about you willin ?