Help! I need advice on first ebike purchase

Halftidy

Just Joined
Jan 6, 2019
We are planning a west to east run from the Spanish border to this side of Nice. I am 67 - 5ft 5" - overweight but fittish (I pedal bike at least 15-25k twice a week - Pilates - swim - dog walk and ride horses). My bike is a Trek 7200. My husband thinks we will do 60miles a day - I have told him that is nonsense as I want to enjoy myself. I have a limited budget but would welcome suggestions - the Woosh Santana 3 or CD look good but is there anything else out there I need to look at please? Must be step through (total knee replacement) - we will need to carry panniers - and I want to be able to cycle unassisted wherever possible. Neither of us is particularly bike mechanic experienced.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
60 miles with hills will require a pretty good battery.

We had similar thoughts when buying a solo electric bike which my wife and I share (we have a tandem converted with Woosh kit for when we go out together). Our trips are usually below 30 miles which helps. We thought seriously about the Woosh Santanas and Kudos Sonata (https://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=347), and less seriously about several others. (I can send a spreadsheet if you like.)

After trying out a couple in Halfords we decided we must have step through, and that hub gears would be a real bonus for our usage. We are both perfectly used to derailleur gears, but the hubs are great for about town and day trips. We ended up with a second hand Raleigh Motus Hub for about the same price as a new Santana or Sonata; and which we were able to try fairly locally. Very pleased so far, but the motor is a bit noisier than I expected (or noticed on our test ride) so it may have had a bit harder life with the first owner than we thought. I hope it lasts us out without needing significant repair or new battery: both of which are expensive on Bosch equipped bikes and will probably be much cheaper on Santana or similar.

Reactions: Halftidy

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You could try for 50 a day but to be frank my backside wouldn't take more that a couple of days... A week or ten days?

You have a couple of hills - just after Marseille and around Frejus. The first half is flat and easy riding. Santana CD with 17 Ah battery would be my choice

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
One concern you may have is support. Neomouv bikes have a massive support network of retailers across France and Spain which Juicy can now tap into.