Help in choosing E Bike. ( Mountain Bike )

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
FS bikes have lot more things to go wrong and service. Creaks from worn pivot points is common problem especially when not service. Not show stopper but very annoying. Unless you really need a FS bike I'd go with HT.

If do need a FS then £3k is realistic starting point for one that will go the distance. For full on MTBing it is more like £4k.
Fear of dead pivots is unfounded. The pivot bolts are stainless. It's usually the nylon washers that need replacing. I keep spare pivot bolts, over the last 3 years, I have not come across anyone needing new pivots.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-can-i-tighten-pivot-bolts-on-a-woosh-zephyr-b-and-why-is-it-loose-in-the-first-place.29703/

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
on a full sus its the frame bearings that will weare out if riding in all weather but mine are fine after 4 years.

as long as you keep it clean and gressed you wont have a problem.

and use lock tight on the bolts you should be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

scotsmac

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 14, 2018
FS bikes have lot more things to go wrong and service. Creaks from worn pivot points is common problem especially when not service. Not show stopper but very annoying. Unless you really need a FS bike I'd go with HT.

If do need a FS then £3k is realistic starting point for one that will go the distance. For full on MTBing it is more like £4k.

Thanks for that. You I want sommit simple and as I only will use this when camping I don't need top of range.
Can you give me hint on what is good HT bike for me ??

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thanks for that. You I want sommit simple and as I only will use this when camping I don't need top of range.
Can you give me hint on what is good HT bike for me ??

tho it will be a bit more if you want the more powerfull cx motor.

scotsmac

Sep 14, 2018
I looked these bikes, and wonder if anyone knows how good they are ?
RoodDog Striker. Kudos Eiger. Gteck essend.
I would add suspension seat . Can anyone vouch for these bikes, or any particular one stands out .

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
I looked at the sprung seat, and it looks good. Your suggestion is a bike with no suspension, I imagine more bike for your money as no money for suspension. Could you recommend and good value bikes for me look at. ? As long as it can easily go on logging roads, and be ok on main roads I should be ok.
I have still not ruled out the Woosh, would just like look some options as I may not need full suspension.
I didn't suggest any bike at all.............

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I looked these bikes, and wonder if anyone knows how good they are ?
RoodDog Striker. Kudos Eiger. Gteck essend.
I would add suspension seat . Can anyone vouch for these bikes, or any particular one stands out .
None of them is as good as the Cubes mentioned before.

The Eiger is no longer in production, the Striker is basic spec with a Zoom fork, the Gtech Escent is not much better, with a very small battery capacity.

Treat yourself to a Cube. It comes down to what suits your requirements: lightweight, good suspension, decent battery, strong motor, good gears, good weight distribution.

PS: I forgot, decent hydraulic brakes.

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The Cube Acid is good value and would do what you want. In saying that I would suggest test ride a few different bikes and drive systems. The hub drive Oxygen MTB comes highly recommended by few members.

How comfortable bike (frame) feels to you is most important, quality of components is secondary. Only decent test ride of 1-2hrs will tell you this.

scotsmac

Sep 14, 2018
Thanks for all the help.
I will go with the Cube Acid. I notice their is a 400 and a 500.
Their is slight difference in price. Would I go for the more expensive option. ?

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
The 500 is preferable because it will give you a greater range. Then again the 400 may be sufficient for your requirements depending on the terrain and total weight carried.

scotsmac

Sep 14, 2018
I was also going to add the spring seat.
Im 60 and overweight, so no spring chicken and obviously won't be doing any serious off roading. Basically up and down forestry roads, and main roads when camper is parked up. Any advantage to me will help. Both the 400 and 500 look perfect.

Reactions: Nefarious