help - I've "broken" my bike

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Having ridden 60+ miles so far on my new bike, I've started to clean it following the beautiful instructions laid out by EddiePJ. Unfortunately I've had 2 hiccups:

1) can't get the front wheel back on, never had disc brakes before and they've closed up ( I might have squeezed the lever by accident). - how to fix?

2) read in the last week that the pedals should have been greased when they were put on, soive tried tyo take them off, got the left off, greased and on but forgotten the direction of rotation for undoing the pedal. Is it with the direction of rotation or against it? I have a feeling I'm getting it even tighter and working against myself.

Thanks in advance for all your helpful responses.

James

C

Cyclezee

Having ridden 60+ miles so far on my new bike, I've started to clean it following the beautiful instructions laid out by EddiePJ. Unfortunately I've had 2 hiccups:

1) can't get the front wheel back on, never had disc brakes before and they've closed up ( I might have squeezed the lever by accident). - how to fix?

2) read in the last week that the pedals should have been greased when they were put on, soive tried tyo take them off, got the left off, greased and on but forgotten the direction of rotation for undoing the pedal. Is it with the direction of rotation or against it? I have a feeling I'm getting it even tighter and working against myself.

Thanks in advance for all your helpful responses.

James
Hi James,
  1. You can move the callipers back by inserting a thin flat blade screwdriver between the pads and gently levering them apart just enough for the disc rotor to go between the pads.
  2. Regarding pedals, the right has a right hand thread so to undo turn anti clockwise, the left has a left hand thread so to undo turn clockwise.
I hope that helps.

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
You will have hydraulic brakes I assume, and they are new so a big bladed flat screwdriver used carefully should separate the pads enough to get the brake disc back in. Don't force anything or you will damage the pads,

Failing that, I'm sure that if you take the bike to even a halfords they will fix it for a minimal cost.

The pedals tighten up so that the rotation of the pedals that is the opposite of the crank cannot loosen them.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Hi James,
  1. You can move the callipers back by inserting a thin flat blade screwdriver between the pads and gently levering them apart just enough for the disc rotor to go between the pads.
  2. Regarding pedals, the right has a right hand thread so to undo turn anti clockwise, the left has a left hand thread so to undo turn clockwise.
I hope that helps.
Thanks,
Disc brakes sorted - rubbing slightly, but wheel is back on.
Even with a 0.5m lever on the allen key the pedal wouldn't budge, tried taking the crank arm off and gclamping it to a bench while I levered the Allen key or hit it with a mallet but no joy. Looks like it'll be a new pair of crank arms with the next set of pedals:( I like those arms and those pedals don't match/go with the bike so I was going to replace therm within a few months but not anymore.
On the plus side, the SPD clips that broke an Allen key a week ago have unsiezed and are nose readjust able so I no longer NEED to replace the pedals.

James

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Next time you remove the wheel and haven't got a plastic disc spacer use folded cardboard to prevent caliper closure.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Next time you remove the wheel and haven't got a plastic disc spacer use folded cardboard to prevent caliper closure.
Will make a note of that and also of the fact I need to keep something llike that with the bike when out and about in case of puncture!

D

Deleted member 4366

Heat up the crank with a hot air gun, it'll go easily then as long as you turn it in the correct direction.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A plastic tyre lever will separate closed pads.

You might think it's not thin enough, but the rounded end suitably aimed does a good job of easing the pads apart with no risk of damage.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Heat up the crank with a hot air gun, it'll go easily then as long as you turn it in the correct direction.
Hmmm, heated it up until it was so hot that I burnt myself when my leg brushed it by accident and no movement. Allen key was still hot 3mins later after removal just from conducted heat (and I mean hot not warm!) . bike will probably be due its first service by then end of the week (200 miles) - I reckon I will knock off 100 miles this week comfortably, so I'll leave it for the dealer to sort for me as they should have given better instructions for fitting the pedals (or pregreased the cranks when they sold it to me)!

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014

You might think it's not thin enough, but the rounded end suitably aimed does a good job of easing the pads apart with no risk of damage.
Looks like its time to buy some of these new light weight tyre levers then. I'm still using my dad's 4 aluminium ones that he must have got from halfords when I was a kid learning to ride a bike nearly 30 years ago!

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014

...or maybe I could make my own wedge with a bit of scrap plastic and a file in my shed?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
The way I remember how to remove pedals is to undo towards the rear of the bike whilst either your spanner or Allen key is above the pedal/crank.