Help needed

Skyline5709

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 11, 2024
Hi all need some advice l'm not new to bafangs as l've built 5 bikes but l've come across something l've never experienced and can't really find anything online l've got a bbs02 and recently it's showing a full battery drain
from 100% to 50% in less than half a mile I can literally counting down like a clock then it'll go back to 100% when I stop I know about battery sag but this is silly it's never done that and yes it's not the battery as I have 3 different batteries and it does the same on all which it doesn't on my other bike I've replaced the controller
and the wiring harness could it be the hall sensor or something else any advice would be great thanks

RollingChunder

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Hi all need some advice l'm not new to bafangs as l've built 5 bikes but l've come across something l've never experienced and can't really find anything online l've got a bbs02 and recently it's showing a full battery drain
from 100% to 50% in less than half a mile I can literally counting down like a clock then it'll go back to 100% when I stop I know about battery sag but this is silly it's never done that and yes it's not the battery as I have 3 different batteries and it does the same on all which it doesn't on my other bike I've replaced the controller
and the wiring harness could it be the hall sensor or something else any advice would be great thanks
Percentages never tell the full story and are often wrong. Can you switch the display to volts? Also, some punctuation wouldn't go amiss.

RollingChunder

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
I put ot in voltage same results.
The cold weather makes batteries sag more, as does any resistance so hills or brakes rubbing or extra weight. If it bounces back to full straight away it sounds quite normal. Do you have a lower top speed on a full charge?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Could be a faulty display ?

Skyline5709

Jan 11, 2024
No I've tried 3 different displays aswel.The only electronics left are the hall sensor and it's not normal battery sag as its only very recently started, I've ridden through 2 cold winters and it didn't happen

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sounds like a dodgy MOSFET in the controller, though it could be just a bad phase wire connection. Either way, it would be worth taking the controller off to look at the connections and test the MOSFETs.

There have been a couple of instances where water got into the controller, even though it's potted,which would do the same. The MOSFET test would give some indication of that.

Skyline5709

Jan 11, 2024
Thanks for the advice but as I said I have replaced the controller last week and its still doing . That's why I was wondering if it could be a dodgy hall sensor board as its the only electronics that haven't been replaced

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for the advice but as I said I have replaced the controller last week and its still doing . That's why I was wondering if it could be a dodgy hall sensor board as its the only electronics that haven't been replaced
I doubt that it's a hall sensor. the motor would screech. Best thing you can do is put a wattmeter between the battery and motor to see how much current is flowing. that'll tell you whether it's the battery or the motor.

Logically, for some reason, a very high current is coming out of the battery, which implies a short somewhere. If there were something wrong with the motor, it would get hot, if it's the controller, that would get hot.

Another possibility is a bad battery connector that can't conduct the current. Check your solder joints on any connectors and in the battery receiver/base.

Advertisers