Help on conversion kits please

mapman

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2009
newcastle /ne7
Hi

I'm Mark - new to the forum. After some advice on picking the right conversion kit.
I'm very interested in Alien kits e.g. 250 / 500 watts, 36 volts.

1: I'd like to travel 18-20mph
2: Journey - 25miles/5 days per week
3: A few small hills

Has anyone got this kit & if so how reliable are these systems to use all year round e.g. how waterproof etc. - battery, hub & fittings?
Would appreciate any advice on any other system.

Thanks
Mark

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
I don't have an alien kit, but I have some opinions as I used a Chinese kit off e-bay. I spent a lot of time researching what I would need, but typically did not come across this marvellous resource until after the purchase.

Alien have a good reputation here based upon their after sales service. I have suffered failures with the battery wiring, throttle and charger, all of which I had to sort out myself. A purchase from Alien will be covered by UK Sale of Goods legislation, which gives you considerable peace of mind.

I can't comment upon the speed, that will depend upon the design speed of the motor and whether the controller can be adjusted. Ask Alien direct.

I am carrying 672 Ah for a 16 mile journey, finding an ultimate range of about 25. The Alien's come with 240Ah (24V x 10A), so I think a larger battery may be necessary, unless you can recharge half way.

A few small hills will not worry any ebike!

Tubaman

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2009
I have had the 36V 10Ah Alien kit fitting since January this year - cant recommend it highly enough (especially when using it in Off Road mode - much better) !

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
GT3 is confusing Watts with Amp-hours. To clear up this confusion a bit:

A 10Ahr battery will provide 10A for 1 hour, 1A for 10 hours and 2A for 5 hours. Ahr is a measure of capacity, how much a battery can hold.

Power is Volts x Amps and is a different kettle of fish.

The battery he mentions as "24V x 10A" is most likely a 10Ahr battery. Wispers use 8Ahr and 14Ahr depending on model. Others use similar capacities. Generally, the higher the Ahr the more range you get.

Best regards.

Vikki.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I have an Alien Ocean kit. 250 watt wheel. I did an extensive write up on it here on the forum. Take a look here.

For a road legal kit it is pretty powerfull. You can deristrict it (its not road legal then) and it will easily do 17-18mph on the flat and take off from a standing start.

As a DIY kit I think they are brilliant although now I have purchased a Cytronex dedictated ebike, so am about to sell the kit.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I don't know whether they were before but Alien are now actively discouraging derestriction. (Take a look at their T&C's on the website)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Interesting.

Now owning a Cytronex, I have to say that 15mph assisted is adequate for me.

I tend to agree that de-ristricting for road use may put you in a difficult position should you be involved in an accident and I do feel happier using a road legal bike.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
15MPH is enough for me to be honest. But when there's another bike in front, he looks serious and he's clocked you, the extra MPH might cut down on the gasping for air, the nausea, and the profuse sweating:D

Also extra MPH not much use on shorter journeys - the difference is negligible. Longer trips, like 25 miles, it's worth it.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
15MPH is enough for me to be honest. But when there's another bike in front, he looks serious and he's clocked you, the extra MPH might cut down on the gasping for air, the nausea, and the profuse sweating:D

Also extra MPH not much use on shorter journeys - the difference is negligible. Longer trips, like 25 miles, it's worth it.
Just wait til you get to the next hill - then the race is yours :p

15mph is just fine for my purposes too.