Help on setting my gears please

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
I've been riding for many years and I've always adjusted my own gears and many other peoples but I'm now stuck.
No matter what I do I can't set my gears correctly but this is what I've done so far -
1) I changed the cable and when unscrewed from the rear derailleur it does move up & down when going through the gears
2) I've made sure my High & Low are setup correctly
3) I connect the cable back to the derailleur and I can get the gears shifting up & down like you see on the You Tube videos
4) The derailleur does move freely
5) When I ride the bike and use any pressure the chain will keep slipping and I can keep fine adjusting to no avail.
6) Low gears seem to be fine but the high gears slip!

I've got a feeling what I might have to do but just interested what others may think.

Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
chain to loose and turn on the clutch if you have one.

Reactions: aardvark5

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Thanks for that, it looks like the adjusting screw had worked it's way out. Another week and it might have dropped out. I'll give it a good test on the way to work tomorrow.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the b screw ? mine slips all the time right pita.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the closer you get it the smother the gear changes if it still slips remove a link or 2 from the chain ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you look at the teeth on your chain-wheel. I had the same problem, which was even worse after I replaced the cassette and chain. I hadn't though to look at the chain-wheel:

Old chainwheel.jpg

new chainwheel.jpg

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Thanks for the replies.
I tried the B Screw and it didn't make a difference.
I'm going to buy a new cassette and chain and I will check out the chain wheel also.

D

Deleted member 4366

Check the chainwheel first. My one only slipped on the high gears too.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Woohoo.
Thanks to everybody but especially the chainwheel suggestion.
This morning I realised I have never used my large chainwheel because my smaller one did everything I need so I moved to the outer one and my problem was solved :)
Coming home I decided to shift back to the smaller one and it was OK so my front derailleur must have slipped a bit.

Thanks everybody.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Good to hear that you are all sorted. :)

As an aside for anyone reading this, there is a very quick way to test to see if either your cassette or front chain wheel are worn.

If there is uncertainly in respect of what is causing the slippage, simply remove the rear wheel, and then use a chain whip to put load onto either the cassette, chain wheel or both. If the chain whip slips around, then you have located the issue. Quick and easy. :)

Last edited:

Advertisers