Help please: Bosch/Abus battery lock issue

ejstubbs

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2018
The lock for the Bosch battery pack on my Zobop has been getting more and more awkward and stiff recently. Yesterday it took me a good ten minute's wrestling to get the battery off. I've dismantled the lock assembly and given it a good clean and lube with dry chain lube and it moves a lot more easily now. However, I think there may be something jamming the mechanism inside the lock barrel. The key will only turn about 45°, which doesn't seem to be enough to fully withdraw the 'tongue' that locks the battery in place - see pictures:

Locked position.png
Locked position - the 'tongue' that locks the battery in place is shown circled in red.

Unlocked Position.png
Unlocked position, showing how far the lock cylinder will turn, and how far back the 'tongue' can be retracted using the key. Using just finger pressure on the 'tongue' itself it's easy to push it all the way back against its spring so that none of the flat top surface is showing.

I have tried with both keys and the lock behaves the same, so I don't think the problem lies with the key.

I've currently got the lock mounted as far up as it will go, and I can get the battery off by a combination of turning the key as far as it will go, and pushing the battery firmly down on to the electrical connector. But I don't think this is right, and I fear that such a procedure it might give rise to further problems in future.

I think that I may need to replace the lock, but I'd be grateful if anyone who has had a run-in with this type of lock in the past can confirm whether the lock mechanism should turn further than mine is doing, or whether it's behaving as it should and the problem may lie elsewhere.

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hi, although I'm not familiar with that particular lock assembly I have had similar ones apart to repair, the tongue is usually driven by an eccentric pin on the end of the barrel assembly, the locks are usually simplistic things that can be opened with relative ease and a few simple tools, maybe worth having a look inside if you feel comfortable opening it up alternatively try a Google for e bike battery lock

Advertisers