Help please..inside....throttle

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Having had problem, with me being heavy handed with twistgrip, i lost spring action and motor was running all the time, when taking to bits the spring went one way and not sure if lost anything as i have never seen inside one, but cant be rocket science , it all just shot apart, can anybody explain the correct sequence in reassembly to line up correctly, or better still have diagram any help i appreciate ,thanks in anticipation.

Ezee Forza

D

Deleted member 4366

Not all throttles are the same, but the most common format is two small cuboid magnets fixed to the bit that twists. The orientation of the magnets is important. Each one should be the opposite way round to the other and they need to face the right way (r/l vs fore & aft). When assembled, the hall sensor, which is fixed in the stationary part, should be between the magnets.

If you have one of those cheap throttles, it's easy to break the end-stop if you hit a bunp at full throttle, whereupon one of the magnets gets broken out too and you end up with any amount of throttle all the time, in which case the throttle is scrap. Don't waste your time getting a replacement of the same type, get a stronger one like this type or the one that's th same but full width:
Half Twist Throttle with LED Voltage Level Display - BMSBATTERY
One of these is better still:
Wuxing Thumb throttle with battery switch and battery capacity display for electric bicycle online store for electric bicycle components-GreenBikeKit.com
These are the weak ones:
Twist Grip Throttle for electric bicycle online store for electric bicycle components-GreenBikeKit.com

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I believe those are right hand though, Geostorm's bike has a left hand throttle and all later Forzas also have a twistgrip integrated switch for the bike's lights.

D

Deleted member 4366

I believe those are right hand though, Geostorm's bike has a left hand throttle and all later Forzas also have a twistgrip integrated switch for the bike's lights.
Both those throttles have integrated switches for lights plus LED battery indicators. The thumb throttle can me mounted on either side, and if the half throttle won't fit on the rh side (they can usually be squeezed in somehoow), it can still be fitted on the left side, but will turn backwards.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree, and about the quality, but it just seems much more trouble to go to when there's a direct plug-and-play replacement available. My two eZee throttles from 2006, one with light switch, one without, have given no trouble, so I just think Geostorm has been unlucky with that one.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Not all throttles are the same, but the most common format is two small cuboid magnets fixed to the bit that twists. The orientation of the magnets is important. Each one should be the opposite way round to the other and they need to face the right way (r/l vs fore & aft). When assembled, the hall sensor, which is fixed in the stationary part, should be between the magnets.

If you have one of those cheap throttles, it's easy to break the end-stop if you hit a bunp at full throttle, whereupon one of the magnets gets broken out too and you end up with any amount of throttle all the time, in which case the throttle is scrap. Don't waste your time getting a replacement of the same type, get a stronger one like this type or the one that's th same but full width:
Half Twist Throttle with LED Voltage Level Display - BMSBATTERY
One of these is better still:
Wuxing Thumb throttle with battery switch and battery capacity display for electric bicycle online store for electric bicycle components-GreenBikeKit.com
These are the weak ones:
Twist Grip Throttle for electric bicycle online store for electric bicycle components-GreenBikeKit.com
View attachment 4078 My THANKS TO YOU AND flecc for your response to my plight, i don't think i could have made myself quite clear, in noticing your joint correspondence , i am reluctant to fork out £25 if it is only a matter of a spring popping out, and as explained before i have never been happy with the dimensions of these, and i had just sorted that side out and was going to carry out tests ,but i was heavy handed fitting over-grip resulting in slipping spring and...?

i managed to remove throttle handle by twisting half turn and pulling thus two pieces . not sure if the pink plastic is part of and i see no evidence of any magnets, not even sure if this is original hope this helps with enclosed photo i have searched the net trying to find exploded diagram ,without success. .... you're not going to believe this tried again to fix it and when pulling apart spring has shot off again oh well....lol
thanks guys.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's different from my two eZee throttles and it's not easy to see what is wrong from that photo. The magnets may be moulded into the raised arc on the twisting portion, in which case they can't be displaced. If that is the case, the Hall sensor may be dud as it's on full throttle all the time.

I can only suggest you reassemble it again to get the spring into place and check it. However, the disconnected spring wouldn't stop the throttle working, some users remove their spring anyway to have a light throttle control.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Thanks Tony ,should i say superman ,so fast response,... by the way is the pink plastic anything to do with it i know its from some sort of twistgrip...? and i cant see how thespring connect to the section close to brake lever...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure, maybe a guide for the spring, but it's too different from the ones I've known to be sure. I can only suggest you offer it up to both halves to see if it is natural fit in some way, before attempting to include the spring in reassembly.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Ok i have looked and played about , and have decided that pink part doesn't belong to it, i did find a blue wire not connected to light switch have connected to 1a W terminal refitted spring now all action works, reconnected to bike all lights up but no life coming from motor, ...should i.have connected blue wire to that terminal, thats the question , or should it accompany brown or leave alone...?.... also i was looking at a Torq about same age as Forza, and seems to have same same throttle ,maybe Ezee fitted different types i appreciate your help flecc. and hope i not being a pain..?

JUST HAD a little fiddle with grip again and now back to square one, i am not experiencing any error signals where i would expect 5 flashes...? ...thanks again.

Last edited:

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
thanks that looks handy bit of kit, but at the moment i am still trying to sort wires