Help, please with my Oxygen...

Clare the Rear

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2016
Ipswich
My Oxygen S-Cross MTB motor cuts out at 20mph, I've read on this Forum that after the 'Secret code' has been entered they top out at about 26mph. Mine has the Code entered. Clare :confused:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Clare,

26mph may be a bit optimistic.

Lift the rear wheel and spin the cranks by hand.
What speed do you see?
That is the noload speed of your bike.
Unless you are a very strong pedaller, you won't achieve as much as that on the road.

D

Deleted member 4366

26 mph is achievable, but you need to pedal a bit too. After you put in the code, you select your own speed limit. What did you set it to? Bear in mind that you set the speed limit separately for the throttle and pedal sensor, so you need to enter two speed limits for both to work without restriction.

You need to set the wheel diamater correctly. I suspect that you've set it smaller, in which case the speed is faster than what shoes on the display.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
26 mph is achievable,
I do realize that the user input tops up the motor power but even my fastest ever bike, the Krieger with 20A controller, could not hold on to 26mph for long when derestricted. The battery consumption rockets upward as soon as you go over 20mph.
My Rio MTB, with 17A controller, can only hold on to about 22mph for an average rider.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I did, when you brought one to Redbridge, remember?
I was most impressed by the flexible controller.

• Informative

Clare the Rear

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2016
Ipswich
26 mph is achievable, but you need to pedal a bit too. After you put in the code, you select your own speed limit. What did you set it to? Bear in mind that you set the speed limit separately for the throttle and pedal sensor, so you need to enter two speed limits for both to work without restriction.

You need to set the wheel diamater correctly. I suspect that you've set it smaller, in which case the speed is faster than what shoes on the display.
Hi d8veh, After the code was entered it came up with 68mph! on both so that chosen. The wheel size is set on 28" but i can only get about 20mph & that's pedelling hard. Clare :)

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Clare,

there is no more you can do.
The speed limiter cuts the power to the motor to stay legal but it does not reduce the motor's power.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My Oxygen S-Cross MTB motor cuts out at 20mph, I've read on this Forum that after the 'Secret code' has been entered they top out at about 26mph. Mine has the Code entered. Clare :confused:
That (32 km/h) was about the top speed of my hub motor bike no matter what I set the speed limit to. That same motor exists in a 42 km/h version with a 17 Amp controller.

Maybe this is the issue you are seeing? You may be at the top speed for the motor mounted on your bike?

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi d8veh, After the code was entered it came up with 68mph! on both so that chosen. The wheel size is set on 28" but i can only get about 20mph & that's pedelling hard. Clare :)
Hmmmm! That's weird. I've derestricted a few, and anybody could do 24 mph without much effort. Let's take a couple of steps back. Firstly, don't confuse things by adjusting the wheel size. It should work on 700c/28". Did you definitely save the setting? It should show 68 mph now as soon as you give the code if you saved it properly. Lift the bike up and spin the wheels to see that they spin freely.

I think I know the answer. It's just come to me. The PAS levels on the LCD are speed controls. You have to be on level 6 to get maximum speed, and you need to be in sport mode to get maximum power. 20 mph is the speed limit for level 5, and you wouldn't have enough power to get past 20 mph if you were on eco or the middle power mode.

Please let us know when you can get 28 mph to put the naysayers to bed.

Ray Johnson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 16, 2016
I have an Oxygen E-Mate CB. It's the 2015 model that was replaced in early 2016.

The LCD has 5 speed/power modes, plus zero.

On the throttle it will do about 19mph.
On pedal assist no more than 15mph.

Can anyone advise me with this "code", please?

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need a code for that one. Please say what the no-load speed is from the throttle and the PAS. Use bottom gear for the PAS.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Please say what the no-load speed is from the throttle and the PAS. Use bottom gear for the PAS.
what is the point of measuring the noload speed on PAS? The result would vary with how fast you rotate the cranks by hands.

D

Deleted member 4366

what is the point of measuring the noload speed on PAS? The result would vary with how fast you rotate the cranks by hands.
I hope your Wooshbikes aren't like that. It would be diabolical!. Every time you changed up a gear to go faster, you'd lose assistance and slow back down again.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I hope your Wooshbikes aren't like that. It would be diabolical!. Every time you changed up a gear to go faster, you'd lose assistance and slow back down again.
I don't get you.
I can see the point of measuring the noload speed using the throttle, it will return the noload speed of the motor, independent of the tester.
If you ride the bike or spin the cranks by hand, the result is no longer independent of the tester.
The reason Clare could not get to your speed is because your legs are stronger than hers.

D

Deleted member 4366

We don't know why Clare can't go any faster because she hasn't given us the no-load speeds yet.

Turning the pedals in first gear with the wheel off the ground and level 6 selected will give the motors maximum speed with the PAS, which is controlled independently of the throttles max speed.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
she did so in this recent post:
I've put the bike on a stand & spun the pedals, but the motor still seems to stop at about 23/24 mph. The speedo keeps going past 30 if i keep spinning but with no motor assistance?!
For those who are not familiar with noload speed test, the test is important for designers to work out where the sweet zone is for that motor.
It is at 70%-75% of the noload speed test.
For a hub motored commuter bike, the target speed is 15.5mph, where you want the motor to be most efficient and deliver most torque. The ideal noload speed is thus 21 mph. Crank drive motors are more flexible.

• Informative
Reactions: Gaz

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
For those who are not familiar with noload speed test, the test is important for designers to work out where the sweet zone is for that motor.
It is at 70%-75% of the noload speed test.
For a hub motored commuter bike, the target speed is 15.5mph, where you want the motor to be most efficient and deliver most torque. The ideal noload speed is thus 21 mph.
As an aside - is there a standard 'sweet zone' for s-pedelecs?
The max speed is then 28mph, however I imagine that might not actually be where you would want the most efficient delivery ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As an aside - is there a standard 'sweet zone' for s-pedelecs?
The max speed is then 28mph, however I imagine that might not actually be where you would want the most efficient delivery ?
one important design goals is to minimize battery consumption.
you want the motor to be most efficient where you expect your customers to ride most of his/her miles at (speed-wise).
The sweetzone is only important for geared hub bikes because their useful 'bandwidth' is much smaller than that of a crank drive or a direct drive motor so it needs to be well chosen.
If I build an s-pedelec, the sweetzone will be 28mph. If it has to be a geared hub, I would run my Rio 7 MTB at 48V 20A, that will give me 350RPM on 27.5" tyres.
by the way, if you like high noload speed, all CD bikes will go off scale, more than 28mph if you derestrict them, including my Krieger, Bali and Santana CD.

Advertisers