Help required with power loss problem

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Need a bit of help with drop in power problem. My Oxygen e mate city shows all bars of a full battery but within a few hundred yards of starting off the bars go to 1/0 and power is lost. The battery had been fully charged and indicates that. There are no error codes and the motor works on throttle with no load but not with me on it. The LCD screen alternates between 6 bars (fully charged) to 1 or 0 bars. It failed with about 15 miles of my home yesterday.

I have been in touch with Oxygen and they have a similar problem with another model and are changing out the controller and should that cure it then they will send me a new controller to change out which is a lot less hassle than shipping the bike back.

I have had a look in the controller recess and nothing looks out of place with no broken wires or anything untoward. So can anyone think of anything I can try mean time.

D

Deleted member 4366

I doubt very much that it's a problem wih the controller. I can't think of any failure mode that would do that. You need to check the voltage on the battey when it's doing it. Have you got a voltmeter?

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I checked the voltage of the battery after charging 41.4V with my multimeter but would,nt know how i could do it while running ?

Last edited:

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Just posting the cause of this problem in case it helps anyone with a similiar problem. Sent bike back to Oxygen and they found the battery was moving in the holder and breaking contact. The sockets at the base of the battery were worn. These were replaced and the battery cage has been adjusted to hold the battery tighter so hopefully this will cure the problem.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
not been on here for a while so just spotted your post.
i had the same problem of a loose battery holder and thought it was cured after tightening , but then the bike started doing strange things,
after a full charge the motor would cut out or stall like a misfiring petrol engine.[ and show low volts fault code]
then when swiching the bike on after a full charge the voltage reading on the lcd display would show very low volts and then climb up to the normal 41 ish volts without me touching it.
i assummed a battery problem , which it was and a new one was provided under warranty.
so as" stevenatleven" has done i thought i would post this so that if anyone else has the same problem then it may help with the diagnosis
i had to send my bike back as the problem appeared so complex , which is fair enough but hopefully if anyone else encounters the same problem it will be easier to sort..
the bike has exceeded my expectations and is great to ride.
the only other small issue was that after a couple of rides a few of the spokes were loose,
they were not worn or stretched but had just worked loose so this was cured with a tiny spot of threadlock on each nipple.which still allows the spoke to be adjusted if need be.
hope this helps anyone else with the same bike.
atb

Advertisers