Help! Which bike for 6 mile hilly commute

Commuter1

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2015
Hi

Newbie here from rural hilly Derbyshire

Which bike would be best for me for a very hilly 6 mile commute?, I know it's a question that's been asked a million times!.

I have been looking at the Batribike Granite Pro in a local showroom priced at £1099, don't mind paying this if it's going to be robust enough for 60 plus miles a week commuting. I want a battery that's going to last a long time and also a bike with little maintenance. looked at the Woosh brand of bikes online and they seem a lot cheaper......around £600 for a similar bike to the Granite Pro, I want to get to work as quickly as possible, I want to be able to go 15mph plus uphill and 30 mph downhill!!, ok maybe a bit optimistic!. I am very physically fit from training in Martial Arts etc so I would push it a bit!, just don't want to do a days work in sweaty clothes!!.

Any help greatfully received!.

Thankyou

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
for high speed commuting on that sort of distance, the woosh Zephyr-B is pretty good.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-b

for high speed on very hilly roads, the woosh Krieger is better.

After that, you'll have to convert your bike with a BBS02 36V 500W.

Reactions: Commuter1
D

Deleted member 4366

The closest you'll get to that is any of the expensive Bosch or Yamaha type crank-drive drive bikes with a derestriction dongle fitted.

The Oxygen MTB can be derestricted in its settings, so nothing exra to pay. It'll do about 24 mph on the flat and has good climbing torque.

I built a bike for the Gadget show, which you can see on Demand 5. It's the 27th April one about 45 minutes in. I used a Boardman Hybrid (£500) with an Oxydrive 13Ah kit (£600?). It's a very fast bike. Top speed is about 25 mph and it can go up pretty steep hills at over 15 mph if you pedal reasonably hard. The low rolling resistance and streamlined frame/forks seem to give it a big advantage over a MTB. On every downhill, it comes storming past my bike, which I would normally say is very efficient compared with most that I've tried.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
To do 15mph+ uphill you will need an illegal or derestricted bike.

The Granite would be a waste of time because you would be trying to propel a 20kg+ bike unassisted uphill - you would be better off with an ordinary push bike which would be much lighter.

newboater

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Hi

Which bike would be best for me for a very hilly 6 mile commute?, I know it's a question that's been asked a million times!.

I have been looking at the Batribike Granite Pro in a local showroom priced at £1099, don't mind paying this if it's going to be robust enough for 60 plus miles a week commuting. I want a battery that's going to last a long time and also a bike with little maintenance. looked at the Woosh brand of bikes online and they seem a lot cheaper......around £600 for a similar bike to the Granite Pro, I want to get to work as quickly as possible, I want to be able to go 15mph plus uphill and 30 mph downhill!!, ok maybe a bit optimistic!. I am very physically fit from training in Martial Arts etc so I would push it a bit!, just don't want to do a days work in sweaty clothes!!.

Thankyou
you can go as fast as you like downhill !

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Hi

Thankyou
this may be heresy, but are you sure you need a pedelec: my pedelec (oxygen, i like it) broke, and ive had to use my brompton for my six mile (on some days) commute - it's simiplicity and serenity itself, and only a few minutes longer, i like pedelecs, but they have nothing on bicycles for sheer simple maintenance freeness, and 6 miles ven hilly isnt that long

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
this may be heresy, but are you sure you need a pedelec: my pedelec (oxygen, i like it) broke, and ive had to use my brompton for my six mile (on some days) commute - it's simiplicity and serenity itself, and only a few minutes longer, i like pedelecs, but they have nothing on bicycles for sheer simple maintenance freeness, and 6 miles ven hilly isnt that long
Or if speed and arriving unflustered is your main aim buy a petrol moped.

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
Why Do you need to do those type of speeds? If it's to get to work faster can't you just leave the house earlier?

Commuter1

May 22, 2015

I want to get to work fairly quickly. I will be selling our second car which is only used to get me to work. I don't want to be having to get up too early in the morning!. I also don't want to be sweating, don't mind a bit of sweat but I get that when I do Martial Arts in the evening.

Commuter1

May 22, 2015
Or if speed and arriving unflustered is your main aim buy a petrol moped.

We are selling our second car to save money, it's a toss up between a moped/small motorbike and an electric bike, the obvious benefits being little or no running cost on the electric bike!, would have to do cbt and bike tests which aren't cheap nowadays!.

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
Get a 50cc and run it on a car license. £17 a year tax and close to 100 to the gallon and you can pick a good one up for less than a grand. Then you will be able to do 30mph all the way to work.

Commuter1

May 22, 2015
Get a 50cc and run it on a car license. £17 a year tax and close to 100 to the gallon and you can pick a good one up for less than a grand. Then you will be able to do 30mph all the way to work.

Can't run it on a car licence mate, I passed in 2003, it has to be before 2001, been down that road.

Commuter1

May 22, 2015
The closest you'll get to that is any of the expensive Bosch or Yamaha type crank-drive drive bikes with a derestriction dongle fitted.

The Oxygen MTB can be derestricted in its settings, so nothing exra to pay. It'll do about 24 mph on the flat and has good climbing torque.

I built a bike for the Gadget show, which you can see on Demand 5. It's the 27th April one about 45 minutes in. I used a Boardman Hybrid (£500) with an Oxydrive 13Ah kit (£600?). It's a very fast bike. Top speed is about 25 mph and it can go up pretty steep hills at over 15 mph if you pedal reasonably hard. The low rolling resistance and streamlined frame/forks seem to give it a big advantage over a MTB. On every downhill, it comes storming past my bike, which I would normally say is very efficient compared with most that I've tried.

Fancy selling it me? haha

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
Can't run it on a car licence mate, I passed in 2003, it has to be before 2001, been down that road.
Yeah CBT it is for you then if you decide on a scooter. Can't see you finding a chinese bike that going to get you 15 mph all the way there including staying at that speed going up hill not for less than a grand but if you do find one let us know the only one I can think of is the stealth with a 500w motor or the revolver maybe that would do it . Not sure tbh mate but if your zipping along at that pace you may attract unwanted attention from the law. Maybe one of the other members know of a model that would do the job.

Commuter1

May 22, 2015
Yeah CBT it is for you then if you decide on a scooter. Can't see you finding a chinese bike that going to get you 15 mph all the way there including staying at that speed going up hill not for less than a grand but if you do find one let us know the only one I can think of is the stealth with a 500w motor or the revolver maybe that would do it . Not sure tbh mate but if your zipping along at that pace you may attract unwanted attention from the law. Maybe one of the other members know of a model that would do the job.

The roads I use are very rural and not much in the way of police!. Chinese bikes? are the majority made in China then?, will an electric bike do 15mph up hill or is that expecting too much?.